Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: colors to paint  (Read 4369 times)

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
colors to paint
« on: January 27, 2009, 09:14:52 pm »
For my first hive and supers I painted them white.   I have some porch enamels and exterior house paints I'd like to use up and am wondering if I should use the dark colors, like battleship gray or brick red.  The thought is dark colors may create unnecessary summer heat here in FLA.  Is this a consideration?

I tried spar varnish on 2 premium grade nucs and they came out looking really nice.  The other boxes are commercial grade and the wood was milled pretty rough, with a lot of bark filled knots.  So those I decided to paint those.  Anybody use varnish? 

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
Re: colors to paint
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 11:23:02 pm »
If you still have some white paint that is the same type as the darker colors you can mix them to make it a little lighter. I did this with some dark blue I bought from Lowe's messed up colors selection. It worked out great, nice light blue. Just make sure you are not mixing oil based with water based ....
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 07:38:05 am »
Yes, color will make a difference with heat. In florida, I would keep the paint color on the light side. Nothing wrong with white.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 11:52:34 pm »
Thanks...forgot about paint stores for mistints.  That's a good idea.

Offline mathispollenators

• House Bee
    • Mathis Apiaries
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 06:36:32 am »
Yep mistints in paints we know a few that paint their hives with it around here.  :-D They have some of the prettiest pastel colored hives ever. :-D I feel the different colored boxes also help cut down in drifitng bees too.  They reconize their pretty house better.  I may be stupid in that but I still think that.
Without Thomas Edison & Alexander Graham Bell we wouldn't have the graveyard shift or Telemarketers.  So how do you like them now?

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 08:38:01 am »
I feel the different colored boxes also help cut down in drifitng bees too.  They reconize their pretty house better.  I may be stupid in that but I still think that.

I'm stupid that way too.....  :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline saskbeeman

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 09:07:30 pm »
Typically bright red and orange will attract drifting bees if used in the brood chambers, especially after moving or unwrapping.  Using yellow, blue, black, and white aid the bees with orientation.  If you're not fond of white, Tremclad aluminum makes a nice looking box that will reflect the heat.  I typically keep my brood chambers pastel 'cool' colors.  As for my honey supers, anything goes  :-D .

Offline steveb

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 06:18:36 pm »
If white does not suit you then pastels are the next best thing.  I try to stay away from the red spectrum as that starts to leave their visual spectrum and becomes like grays and blacks.  I like to go to the other end, blues, greens etc. as that is better differentiated by insects.
Steve

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 07:24:01 pm »
i agree with both the lighter colors and the oops paint.  another consideration might be whether or not you need your hives to blend into surrounds. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 09:00:43 pm »
All white is just plain boring. Oops paint is what I use in mid range hues, could always make them lighter with white like Greg said.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 09:29:29 pm »
I like the bull frog green color, But I use any other light color.
Latex exterior flat. drys quick and can put 3 coats on in the same day.
First time I use three coats, then as soon as they start showing signs of weathering, 2 or 3 yrs. one or two coats.
I also try to use (spell check) when I think about it. :-D :)doak

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 02:02:36 am »
I bought "Mythic" brand non-toxic paint in the color "Honey Pot"!!  Yay

anything