Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: East Coasters - Spring Flow - Overall Hive Status  (Read 8858 times)

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Re: East Coasters - Spring Flow - Overall Hive Status
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2009, 11:20:04 pm »
Our clover flow should be starting real soon.  I hope this rain passes and we get a couple weeks of dry weather.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline pollenchucker

• House Bee
  • 42 days and their wings fall off, eh?
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2009, 11:43:22 am »
Derby is in the country between Pinehurst and Rockingham, say also about 50 miles west and slightly north of Fayetteville.  
I am personally not familiar with sourwood.  The guys at my local bee club mentioned that it would be coming in shortly.  I have no idea what it looks like.  Guess I should google it.  But like I said the buckwheat is beginning to make flowers and the clover is high but don't know when it will bloom, shouldn't be too long as bassman mentioned.
And we also have Persimmon and Holly coming in soon.
It may take all summer but I think I will have my first honey harvest by Fall.
-pc
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 11:55:06 am by pollenchucker »

Offline challenger

• House Bee
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2009, 09:39:11 pm »
What Holley are you referring to? There are several types here and the only one I see buds on are the ornamental "Ilex" I think it is called. The holly I am most familiar with is the kind with the real sharp leaves and is one of the first to bloom and did so about a month or more ago.
Beekeeping for Chordoma. All proceeds donated to cancer research

Offline troutstalker2

• House Bee
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2009, 10:06:59 pm »

Its been raining a lot here, weeks. Just in time for the honey flow, gee what luck. Two hives, I will probably get 2 mediums off of one and probably 0 off the other.

David

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2009, 10:35:09 am »
Clover is popping out and it's supposed to be nice.  :devilbanana: Hopefully the supers will be full soon. 
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2009, 11:27:01 am »
 Seeing as how my "spring flow" is over here on the Central Fl. Ridge, I can report. I extracted nothing. After the freezes and drought here and me scrambling to move them from a frozen grove to one that wasn't, the bloom was too dry and the wind blew them off as soon as they opened. Even the late winter maple bloom buildup here was damaged. The palmetto bloom opend dry. 30 -50 miles in almost any direction would have done better. This is what we call a micro climate. Any new members reading this, that is why location is important when you ask a question.
 What I learned. The hives that built up strong and did make themselves a deep of honey. From these I am raising queens to requeen the weak ones that don't have a clue how to forage in bad times (and being optimistic, raise more hives).
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline pollenchucker

• House Bee
  • 42 days and their wings fall off, eh?
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2009, 04:59:17 pm »
Challenger you are correct, I apologize for the misinformation.  The holly here is Ilex Opaca, aka American Holly.  It bloomed back in April and is now bearing small green berries for its efforts.  Do know what color it's pollen is? I recall both bright yellow and pumpkin orange coming in during that time period.
-pc

anything