Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How do you keep the grass under control in the bee yard?  (Read 8307 times)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: How do you keep the grass under control in the bee yard?
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 12:03:11 am »
Cover it with something the grass can't grow through.  Old area or throw rugs work well.  So do sheets of plywood, tarps, tarpaper, or even layers of old newspapers spread out between the hives in the bee yard.  The nice thing about the newspaper is that it will compost over time and needs to be replaced but you're weeding using a green method.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 12:49:41 am »
How do you keep the grass under control in and around the hives?

Jeremy

With a lawnmower and weedeater.

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 12:52:27 am »
Pavers on top of landscape fabric.  Built them a nice little patio.  (Need to find them some patio furniture next... :lol:)

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 12:57:01 am »
If I tell you this you may not believe it, but it is true.  I have my hives on my friends property up the block. He has 20 acres of land. He gets onto his riding lawnmower without any bee suit and drives that thing directly in front of the beehives.  He goes back and forth and all around and sometimes makes a mistake and blows the grass all over them.  They sometimes all come out to see what is up,but he has never gotten stung. He has even stopped in front of them and gone into reverse after sitting a few seconds. He is crazy, but he believes the bees will not sting him.

I do the same thing and for the most part the girls completely ignore me.  Occasionally I'll notice a bit more activity, but they don't even ping me or buzz around my face. 

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 09:42:45 am »
Wow!  A lot of beeks go to elaborate means to keep weeds down (especially Natalie)!

I just spread mulched leaves and grass clippings that I bag when I mow my lawn.  After you get a nice, thick layer of this natural mulch, only a handful of the bravest weeds can come up.  For these volunteers, I just snatch them up when I'm at the hives doing an inspection.  Sheeesh!
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2009, 11:03:55 am »
I haven't done this, but someone at a recent field day gets free burlap coffee bean bags from a local importer and lays them as mulch, recarpets as needed. They're colorful, sturdy, and biodegradable.
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.

Offline Davepeg

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2009, 01:15:18 pm »
Right under the bees we don't really have to mow.  Our landscapers just go by them quickly.  we have one hive on the lawn, they do a quick pass with a ride on mower - no problem.  We did buy a weed whacker to clean up closer if necessary.  No problem so far.  My one hive is right up on the edge of my veg garden.   They come out to see what I'm doing but don't really bother me.
Dig up the grass and plant some flowers!
We love the girls...

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2009, 01:21:37 pm »
If I tell you this you may not believe it, but it is true.  I have my hives on my friends property up the block. He has 20 acres of land. He gets onto his riding lawnmower without any bee suit and drives that thing directly in front of the beehives.  He goes back and forth and all around and sometimes makes a mistake and blows the grass all over them.  They sometimes all come out to see what is up,but he has never gotten stung. He has even stopped in front of them and gone into reverse after sitting a few seconds. He is crazy, but he believes the bees will not sting him. 

We only have to do this once a year as I posted up above. Thank god because I go up there when he does this work and I sit and wait with the benedryl

He is a very brave soul

One of these days, one of the girls will take one for the team, let us know when it happens  ;)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2009, 01:25:44 pm »
Hey BeeHopper,  Your first install date is the same date as mine, April 21, 2006

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2009, 01:54:52 pm »
 Roundup

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2009, 02:09:21 pm »
Hey BeeHopper,  Your first install date is the same date as mine, April 21, 2006

Small World  :-D

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2009, 02:23:43 pm »
Round Up and a weed eater when needed.

Offline Anny

• New Bee
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2009, 08:44:59 am »
I use a push mower and hand clippers ( to get close to the hive)

The bees don't seem to mind the push mower. I've also seen people put woodchips around the hive.

Offline kdm

• House Bee
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2009, 10:16:34 am »
 All of the methods work for different beekeepers. I have also used stock salt around the hives to kill weeds. The kind you mix in feed.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2009, 11:06:28 pm »
This year, so far, I havent mowed around the hives as I did the last couple years...But now, My bee yard is full of flowers!!..Blue ones, purple ones, tons of yellow ones!! Its GREAT!
  But, when I did clean the grass around the hives I just pulled it out with my hands...And, if I  mowed, I'd try to do in late in the day or early in the morning when the bees are all inside....I mow as fast as I can too! Sometimes, when I mow now( within 10 feet of the hives) I get chased away and stung alot!..Sometimes I even have to jump off the mower and run in the house! And sometimes, when I go back out, they chase me again!...Its all worth it tho, as my mower is really fast and its kind of like a race between me and the bees! It makes me crack up when they start after me! Sure, I yell and holler and cuss but I laugh because I cant believe I'm so stupid and havent learned my lesson yet! :-D

your friend,
john

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2009, 01:52:26 am »
My "mellow yellow" hive doesn't give a fig if I mow around it, but my new blue hive got REAL CRANKY this past weekend when I tried mowing fully suited up - and I had just smoked them about an hour before.  I looked up and my veil had lots of angry bees on it and they were pouring out of the hive and coming after me, so I left them alone!  Didn't get stung, but I didn't get all the mowing done, either. 

I think I will invest in a jug of Roundup spray.  My company makes the surfactant for it and right now - we need all the business we can get!   :evil:

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2009, 02:06:42 am »
    Since I'm pretty slow trying to mow with a walker :oops: my wife does it and a weedeater.  a member of our bee club has started using rock salt.  He talked about how it used to keep fleas out of the dog pens and may work on shb larvae and pupae as well.  I'm waiting for the results.

We are still working on the grass free yard thingy.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2009, 03:24:35 am »
Maybe a walk behind reel mower (the ancient push type with no motor)?  reasonably quiet, no ehxhaust, not very not sure what word I need here - it doesn't fling stuff at near ultrasonic speeds.

And helps burn off a beer belly.

Offline reeegs22

• New Bee
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2009, 05:56:01 pm »
I put a large flat rock in front of each hive so the weeds don't grow right there.  The grass has been growing like crazy though so full suited I took the weedwacker and went around the hives no problem.  I also mow pretty close to them on the zero turn mower which goes at a good clip, no suit for that and I am happy to report no stings.
:-) Mary

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2009, 08:07:47 pm »
Maybe a walk behind reel mower (the ancient push type with no motor)?  reasonably quiet, no ehxhaust, not very not sure what word I need here - it doesn't fling stuff at near ultrasonic speeds.

And helps burn off a beer belly.
...with hopes for a mead belly to burn off.
be happy and make others happy.