Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Another Beginners question- Distance between hives  (Read 11695 times)

Offline jester7891

• House Bee
Another Beginners question- Distance between hives
« on: February 25, 2008, 10:55:40 pm »
My first two sets of bees will be coming in approximately six weeks.  I have been watching the sun rise the past few weeks trying to find a place that will get sunlight as early as possible in the morning.  My question is if I should put the two bee hives close together.  Should they be 3 feet apart, 10 feet apart or 10-20 yards apart etc?

Thanks for your input!

Offline millermann1972

• New Bee
Re: Another Beginners question- Distance between hives
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 11:08:43 pm »
well my hives are a few inches apart. i have not paid much attention to drifting but both hives are strong. the way i make my hive stands my hives are pretty close together.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 11:33:15 pm »
Bumping each other is OK.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 11:43:53 pm »
My first two sets of bees will be coming in approximately six weeks.  I have been watching the sun rise the past few weeks trying to find a place that will get sunlight as early as possible in the morning.  My question is if I should put the two bee hives close together.  Should they be 3 feet apart, 10 feet apart or 10-20 yards apart etc?

Thanks for your input!

I like to build stands to put my hives on and leave enough space beside them to place top covers and frames etc...

....JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 11:46:54 pm »
My girls don't seem to mind close neighbors.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 11:50:26 pm »
I have just enough space to totally walk around both hives.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 11:52:25 pm »
jester7891.  I am with Annette, I leave enough space between each of my hives that I can access them either side, depending on what side I need or want to work on, that is enough space.  Have a wonderful and awesome day, love our life we live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 08:07:53 am »
Ours are usually side by side on a common stand.  Up in Maine they're three abreast.  I don't worry about being able to walk around them, anything we need to do can be done from the back, and we can reach around front if we want to smoke from the front.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 09:40:33 am »
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmisc.htm#hivestand

Michael, I believe I have seen this plant before. I will have to be on the look out for it. Do you just rub the leaves on the stung spot?

....JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 10:32:18 am »
prefer the 360 approach in case the wind changes direction to avoid returning foragers myself. Also, one hive can be hot and it has less effect than when they are touching each other.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 10:34:59 am »
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmisc.htm#hivestand

Michael, I believe I have seen this plant before. I will have to be on the look out for it. Do you just rub the leaves on the stung spot?

....JP

JP, no, you chew on it and the juices you rub on the plant, or you could take the pulverized leaf and rub it on, it is the juice from the leaves.  It really works for a number of things. Beautiful day, great life, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 11:12:25 am »
Oh goodie, I learned something new today!  There is TONS of plantain all over here so I can experiment!  Those top clips look like a good idea instead of bricks..it's very windy here at times in the foothills of the cascades!  Have a great day!  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 11:37:24 am »
We get some wind also. Had gust up to 53 MPH yesterday, so they say. Wind today is only suppose to be 20 MPH but it is already 20 MPH and gust to 26 MPH. I use cinder blocks to keep everything on the ground.

:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline thomast55

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 03:31:29 am »

....JP
Chickens love to eat it also .

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 08:28:51 am »
>Do you just rub the leaves on the stung spot?

Basically, except it doesn't produce a lot of sap, so I usually bite it to crush it (as it says on the page) enough to get some juice out of it.  Some chew it.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmisc.htm#plantain
http://www.bushfarms.com/images/Plantain.jpg
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 11:39:52 am »
As an aside, chewing plantain actually tastes kind of good.  I really don't mind that taste at all, I would not even call it close to bitter or anything like that.

I wonder if plantain would be good for cancer sores, my Daughter gets those now and then and when she does, they are honking bad, really bad. She does not get them nearly to the degree that she did years ago.  I love to find remedies to relieve people of pain, I know that my little jar of honey that has propolis blobs in it has pain relieving properties, seen that time and time again.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day on this greatest of planets, Earth.  Cindi

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 02:54:13 pm »
As an aside, chewing plantain actually tastes kind of good.  I really don't mind that taste at all, I would not even call it close to bitter or anything like that.

I wonder if plantain would be good for cancer sores, my Daughter gets those now and then and when she does, they are honking bad, really bad. She does not get them nearly to the degree that she did years ago.  I love to find remedies to relieve people of pain, I know that my little jar of honey that has propolis blobs in it has pain relieving properties, seen that time and time again.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day on this greatest of planets, Earth.  Cindi
Cindi, I do hope you mean canker sores and not cancer sores!  :shock:  Yes, you can use them for canker sores.

You've really worried me, tell me your daughter doesn't have cancer.....

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 11:11:51 pm »
Oh Ann, what a dreadful thought, you know about you and me and the strange typos we make with our speed fingers.  Misspelled the word with a "C' instead of  "K", oops, doesn't that totally put a different fling into a word, eeeks!!! 

No she gets canker sores.  I am going to check out that site you cited, hee, hee.  Thankyou for your dear concern, Ann.  Have the most wonderful and beautiful day, love this life, good stuff. Cindi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 11:15:20 pm »
All hail to the welcome committe queen, we are so not worthy!!!!! So not worthy!!!!  :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

....JP

anything