Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: sauerkraut time!!!!!  (Read 5227 times)

Offline danno

• Super Bee
sauerkraut time!!!!!
« on: September 19, 2008, 09:39:40 am »
This is one of my favorite weekends.  My wife and I make sauerkraut with freinds.  We started years ago with another couple and every year more people come.  It has turned into a yearly party.  We have a large electric chopper and chop a truck load.  Everyone gets a couple of five gallon buckets.  We drink alot of beer!!!!   We have to because its the  law here in the midwest.  After the kraut is done we make polish sausage and start cooking.  Keilbasa, last years kraut and beer.  This is one party were beer farts are not only expected, they are encouraged. Pull my finger

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
Re: sauerkraut time!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 10:26:39 am »
Sound's like a blast :-D I've never made sauerkraut but I love it.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 02:27:38 pm »
It so simple. All you do is chop the cabbage, mix in salt, tamp it down in a food grade bucket,  put a small garbage bag in side another and add a couple of quarts of water and seal to make a bladder, put the badder on top of the cabbage to seal the bucket but let gasses out and wait a month.  It gets better with age.  We store ours under our basement stairs and just dig out what we need for a meal until its gone.   

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 11:00:13 am »
OK so I would like to give it a try will a 5 gallon plastic bucket work and could you give me the amounts of what to put in and what to do with more detail PLEASE. :?
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 11:53:35 am »
This is one of my favorite weekends.  My wife and I make sauerkraut with freinds.  We started years ago with another couple and every year more people come.  It has turned into a yearly party.  We have a large electric chopper and chop a truck load.  Everyone gets a couple of five gallon buckets.  We drink alot of beer!!!!   We have to because its the  law here in the midwest.  After the kraut is done we make polish sausage and start cooking.  Keilbasa, last years kraut and beer.  This is one party were beer farts are not only expected, they are encouraged. Pull my finger

Do babies and old people have to drink beer as well and how many days does this go on? Do they wave the DWI law during this "guzzlefest"? Perhaps this is the real reason the ozone layer has holes in it.

Give me a number, then pill my finger!! :-D :-D :-D

...JP

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 11:58:23 am »
It so simple. All you do is chop the cabbage, mix in salt, tamp it down in a food grade bucket,  put a small garbage bag in side another and add a couple of quarts of water and seal to make a bladder, put the badder on top of the cabbage to seal the bucket but let gasses out and wait a month.  It gets better with age.  We store ours under our basement stairs and just dig out what we need for a meal until its gone.   

Something about this part just scares me something awful!!!

...JP :-D
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 11:30:19 pm »
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! now this is a funny post, maybe thats why sauerkraut smells funny!!!!!!!! :-X
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 09:18:41 am »
OK so I would like to give it a try will a 5 gallon plastic bucket work and could you give me the amounts of what to put in and what to do with more detail PLEASE. :?

yes we use food grade buckets.  The recipe is 5#s of cabbage to 3T of kosher salt mixed well.  It makes its own juice as it ferments.  Many people use a weighted plate to hold it down but it will have to be skimmed if this method is used.  The bladder works like a air lock making wine.  I dont know how long it will keep in the bucket.  Ours is always about gone by harvest time. A few years ago a friend took a bucket home.  Put it in his messy garage and lost it for 2 years.  Thats 2 summers and 2 winters and it was still good.  As long as the bladder doesn't leak or go dry it keeps for a long time

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 10:44:26 am »

yes we use food grade buckets.  The recipe is 5#s of cabbage to 3T of kosher salt mixed well.  It makes its own juice as it ferments.  Many people use a weighted plate to hold it down but it will have to be skimmed if this method is used.  The bladder works like a air lock making wine.  I dont know how long it will keep in the bucket.  Ours is always about gone by harvest time. A few years ago a friend took a bucket home.  Put it in his messy garage and lost it for 2 years.  Thats 2 summers and 2 winters and it was still good.  As long as the bladder doesn't leak or go dry it keeps for a long time

Was still good? Was it tested? Or was it like, hey it still tastes like sauerkraut, must be good! Could be the beer talking?

...JP

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 12:17:33 pm »
here's a link to a good site that should answer all your questions
http://www.sauerkraut.eu/

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 12:33:33 am »
Throw in some green onions, ginger, red peppers, and call it Kim Chee.   Oriental sauerkraut.  My grandmother used to make it by chopping the cabbage and putting into a 10 gallon crock, adding a cup of salt, and a quart of water.  Put a dinner plate on top with a weight on it and let it ferment.  Made pickles using the same method, pickles, salt, vinegar, dill weed, and water in a crock with weighted lid.  2 cricks of each lasted most of the winter.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything