Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: need to move hive 15-20 feet  (Read 9881 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: need to move hive 15-20 feet
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 12:49:53 am »
This post really makes me happy to know that it can work so easily. Tell me what time at night would be best?? Like really late when it is dark??? Or is early evening ok??

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2008, 03:47:31 am »
This post really makes me happy to know that it can work so easily. Tell me what time at night would be best?? Like really late when it is dark??? Or is early evening ok??

Right after dark or early morning before first light, or any time during the dark hours thereof.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2008, 08:49:21 am »
I had to move a hive about 5 feet last year and change the direction of the front door 180 degrees.  I followed MB's advice and that of the rest of this forum and moved the hive about a foot each day, making a slight turn of the entrance each time I moved it.  Every morning they awoke to branches in front of the entrance and had to reorient.  The move took four days of making a slow circle, but it worked and I never saw bees returning to the old location.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2008, 11:42:37 am »
Depending on how far you move them --- seal up all cracks good!!! They fing wonderful spots to crawl into after dark. Just ask I know first hand  :shock:!
John 3:16

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2008, 11:53:57 am »
I remember reading your blog when you were moving that hive. That situation worked great for you moving it 5feet. But I have to move it about 20 feet and that would take 20 days and they would be passing in front of my other hive which could totally confuse both hives.

I am going to try the night move.

Thanks for your input.
Annette

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2008, 03:05:16 pm »
Oh, Annette, 20 feet would be definitely a night move situation - I was responding to the orientation comments in that I think when you put "stuff" in front of the entrance, you definitely get them to re-orient to the new location be it 20 feet away or a gradual circle move 5 feet/180 degrees like I did.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2008, 04:31:17 pm »
Yes, the branch will be very important. Thanks Linda

Annette

Offline wayseer

• House Bee
    • Beaver Rock
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2008, 07:00:46 am »
Moving bees a short distance is a good wet wether job.  Rain keeps most bees at home.   
www.beaverrox.blogspot.com/

Life is a river somewhere

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2008, 06:50:05 pm »
Well since we will probably not have any wet weather until next November, I guess it will be a dry job!!!! Ha!Ha!

Anyway, next week is my planned move. I have a very strong guy who can help me lift the entire hive (only 3 mediums supers) to the new spot.

I will let you all know about the move.

Annette

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2008, 11:06:19 pm »
Moving bees a short distance is a good wet wether job.  Rain keeps most bees at home.   

A wet fixed male goat?  LOL   I'm not the best speller or typist either but using the spell check button can prevent unintended embarrassment, although I must admit this is one of those cases where it doesn't work.  I find I do that a lot too.

Weather = climate
Wether = fixed male goat
Whether = Should I or shouldn't I.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2008, 01:57:55 pm »
I need to move my hives about the same distance.  But I was planning on doing it this winter when they are clustered.

Is winter a bad time to move your hives?
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2008, 02:23:42 pm »
I need to move my hives about the same distance.  But I was planning on doing it this winter when they are clustered.

Is winter a bad time to move your hives?

Winter is an excellent time to do the move if you can wait.

rob..
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2008, 01:35:25 am »
If they have been confined for at least 72 hours they tend to do fine.  If they were flying that day and it gets cold too fast, they might have a problem.  I prefer to do it when the weather is nice enough for them to hive time to sort things out without getting caught in the cold.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2008, 09:44:26 am »
I agree with Rob

Offline limyw

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2008, 01:41:49 pm »
Closed the entrance for 48 hours after moving. Make sure there is enough honey stock and screen window is cleared for good ventilation. To avoid overheat, do not place hive under direct sun light. You can place a half full disc of water inside hive for cooling purposes. 
lyw

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2008, 05:55:26 pm »
I would like to reply with my experience this week.

I did move that hive on Tuesday around 0930PM. Early next morning around 0600AM I went up and removed the moving screen and placed some branches all over the landing board. I stood and watched for a while as the first foragers came out. Well surprise, surprise, they did not re orient at all, but walked over the branches and flew straight out with a purpose. I watched for about 1/2 hour and many, many bees just flew straight out and did not stop to look around to re orient.

Well the next day I watched them fly over the old site all day and they also flew around the new site and around my other hive.

By Thursday evening at 0700PM when I went up to see how they were doing, well it was total chaos with bees flying everywhere and clustered all over the ground in back of the hives. They looked very confused and were shaking. I felt very bad about this and expected that I might have done something very bad. I posted this situation here on the forum and many members came forth to tell me that it can take a few days before the bees find their way to the new site. Other members said that a percentage of bees may never find their way back home again.

All is well for this hive now. All the bees have found their home again and everything is calmed down.

I am sharing this information so that you will not be alarmed if this happens to you when you move your hive. I just was not expecting something like this to happen.

Take care and good luck
Annette
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 11:57:01 pm by annette »

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2008, 08:14:22 pm »
Annete,
Thank you so much for shareing! I'm moving 2 hives tonight due to landlord's wife thinking she will be attacked. I've tried everything to try to sway her but to no avail. She's just not going to believe anyone. Typical for someone who thinks they know EVERYTHING!
I'm so glad I can remain teachable.

Thanks to everyone!

Mark
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2008, 11:59:18 pm »
Good Luck Mark and let us know how it all goes.

Annette

anything