Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive moving screen plans  (Read 6387 times)

Offline BEEMAN

• House Bee
Hive moving screen plans
« on: October 20, 2010, 10:46:59 pm »
:?Does anyone have, or know where I can get the plans for a hive moving screen? I would like to make a couple to keep around when I need to move a hive or close up a hive when the farmers are spraying the sugar cane around this area. I would appreciate any information on finding plans for the screened hive moving screen.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Hive moving screen plans
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 11:09:27 pm »
I don't know how complicated screens you want to build, I know a lot just use old window screen and shove in the entrance.  This summer with screened bottom boards, they had no problems.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 11:37:27 pm »
I've seen ones for sale that have bee escapes in them too, so you can block off the top entrance and allow the foragers to return home (while not allowing others to leave) before you move them.

I'd love to see plans for those, if available. The only options I've seen is using a normal mechanical bee escape and taping it to a robbing screen, or poking cone holes in a pre-existing robber screen, neither of which I'm fond of.

Well, that and paying someone $12 to make a $0.90 part.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 11:49:51 pm »
Stuff the entrance with spanish moss.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 12:00:57 am »
i have a roll of cheep window screen that i use if the hive is a solid bottom.  if it's a screened bottom, i just duct tape the entrance reducer on and go.  you never want to be without the duct tape!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 11:49:41 pm »
Take some #8 hardware cloth, 2" wide, cut it the width of the opening, bend it into a vee, and push it in the opening. When you get there pull it out! Has enough spring in it to hold it in place. Save it for the next move.

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 11:23:18 am »
Take some #8 hardware cloth, 2" wide, cut it the width of the opening, bend it into a vee, and push it in the opening. When you get there pull it out! Has enough spring in it to hold it in place. Save it for the next move.

That's too simple. :shock: :shock: :-D

(Problem is you'll pay $$$$$ to a roll of #8 hardware screen.)
linda d

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 11:23:30 am »
linda d

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 02:51:39 pm »
Cost me $18 at a local hardware store

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 10:30:49 pm »
We get it from Ace Hardware locally. Costs about $130-140 for a 100' roll; enough for a lifetime supply for a hobbyist. Not near enough for a commercial beek for a year's supply.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 10:40:34 pm »
Old window screen.  Free.   :-D

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 11:31:43 am »
I've used window screen in the past, but moved away from it recently. It gets glued up by the bees.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 12:01:48 pm »
How long do you leave it on the hive?   Flex the screen when you are installing it and the old glue falls off.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 01:33:29 pm »
I was referring to window screen generally used, not just as a moving screen. I've used them for ventilation purposes, screened bottom boards, ect.

You can always put it in the freezer and shake it off, but it's still extra work. Hardware cloth is just easier for me.