Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How do I know if queen accepted???  (Read 9983 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: How do I know if queen accepted???
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2008, 01:54:01 pm »
Since it's plastic, I assume it's a JZBZ cage.  In which case there is a tube sticking out one end of the cage with candy in it.  This is NOT where you will release her.  There is also a cap that is back on the body of the cage (not on the end of the tube) that also acts as the latch for the lid of the cage.  If you pop this small lid open and hold your finger over the end so the queen doesn't run out, you now can hinge the entire end over by using the tube as a handle.  There is a hinge on the opposite side from the direction that the cap is attached.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2008, 01:58:53 pm »
OH Boy, Thanks Michael also. Yes. I finally got this figured out with JP's help on ventro. Stupid of me to assume they shoved that queen into the cage through the candy plug. Ok now I understand the opening is not below the plug also.

Wish me well on this transfer. I am nervous about it all.

Michael, I did want to know if the attendants also go into the wire push in cage???

Thanks once again
Annette

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2008, 05:07:18 pm »
>Michael, I did want to know if the attendants also go into the wire push in cage???

I would go with the flow.  If you feel you have a choice, leave them out.  If they run in, don't worry about it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Rachel

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2008, 06:19:39 pm »
I'm dying to know how this is turning out!  Good luck!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Update on queen acceptance!!!!
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2008, 05:31:44 pm »
OK, this is what happened today when I went up to visit the hive.

I did not smoke the bees because I truly wanted to see what is up with these bees and smoking them makes them a bit aggitated at first.

When I opened up the inner cover I was met with a very big surprise!! The bees were totally peaceful and calm and walking around all over the frames where the queen cage is. When I removed the queen cage, they still remained calm. There were a few bees walking around on the cage, but no biting, no running around frantic, and no clinging. When I tried to push them out of the way, they just moved aside no problem.

Well if I am going by vibe, well yes they have accepted her and so I just removed the plug on the cage and now they can eat out the candy plug and release her themselves. I placed her back in the hive and closed it up. I decided against directly releasing her, because I would rather let them gently release her. I will check again on Tuesday and if she is not released by then, well I will open up the cage and let her out.

I was more than ready to transfer her into a wire cage which I had with me. It is very possible they actually accepted her 2 days ago and I just could not recognize the signs.

I prayed really hard that whatever I did would be the correct decision. I still could be wrong, but I truly did my best and I accept the outcome now.

Thanks to all of you for sharing this adventure with me.
I will let you all know how this has turned out.
Annette

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2008, 06:29:48 pm »
It sounds like things are going well!!!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2008, 08:56:36 pm »
That's great news!  I hope she is released and busy laying eggs when you check on her next.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2008, 09:39:16 pm »
Thanks everyone.Will keep you all updated.

Annette