Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Clustering temps  (Read 2462 times)

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
Clustering temps
« on: December 16, 2009, 03:12:04 pm »
Can anyone tell me at what temperature honeybees will come  out of a cluster and occupy the whole hive and/or what temp they will move into a full cluster.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
Re: Clustering temps
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 04:39:35 pm »
My Dec/Jan state beekeeping newsletter in an article on the beehive in the winter makes the statement "Bees begin to form a loose cluster when the temp within the hive reaches 57.2F and at 42.8F all of the bees in the hive become involved in forming the cluster.  The temperature of the cluster is maintained at 44F(approx) regardless of the outside temp.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 04:47:40 pm »
My Dec/Jan state beekeeping newsletter in an article on the beehive in the winter makes the statement "Bees begin to form a loose cluster when the temp within the hive reaches 57.2F and at 42.8F all of the bees in the hive become involved in forming the cluster.  The temperature of the cluster is maintained at 44F(approx) regardless of the outside temp.

Thanks.  Thats what I'm looking for. 

Bee-nuts
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline bmacior

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 05:39:43 pm »
I've read they will be dispersed through the super at 64 degrees.

Offline robbo

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 06:06:42 pm »
Just a revise for anyone playing at home in metric   8-)

-----------------------

My Dec/Jan state beekeeping newsletter in an article on the beehive in the winter makes the statement "Bees begin to form a loose cluster when the temp within the hive reaches 14.0C and at 5.9C all of the bees in the hive become involved in forming the cluster.  The temperature of the cluster is maintained at 6.66C (approx) regardless of the outside temp.

bigbearomaha

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 08:33:02 pm »
From   Bee Culture Sept 1, 2009, the tight cluster temperature can range from 70F to 90-95 F.

Individual bees are cold blooded, but a healthy cluster of bees within a hive, with honey positioned correctly, has a great deal of control over its group temperature. As the outdoor temperature approaches about 55-57°F, depending on wind and sun conditions, bees within a hive begin to loosely centralize themselves near the bee nursery area (the brood nest) or near stored honey combs if the nursery has already been closed down for the season. As the day really cools to the 40s or so, bees will have clearly centralized themselves and will have begun to cozy-up. Colder still and the bees, just like our chilled, hypothetical human test population, will compact tightly. Some bees are in the interstices between combs while others are laying head first in empty cells. This tight configuration forms a solid, living cluster having roughly the volume of a soccer ball. The population at this point consists of adult worker bees, possibly some immature bees and the queen. No drones. They were all 'eliminated' during the Autumn and will be reproduced during the following Spring season. If baby bees are present, the nursery area will be kept at around 90-95°F while bees making up the outer layer will be nearer 40°F. If no developing bees are present, the center of the cluster will be around 70°F

Big Bear

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 12:24:55 am »
That is very interesting because I always thought the temperatures was about 90 or so in the center of the cluster around the queen. this is some different information, but it makes sense that they would keep it very warm for the brood.  So not as warm for the queen it appears.