Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hives stolen from Taylorstown, PA area- Please be on the lookout  (Read 2964 times)

Offline Hossman

• New Bee
7 of our hives in our Taylorstown/Prosperity yard were taken between today and Friday. Possibly by someone in a black pickup. Any info you can give will be greatly appreciated! Some of our hive components are "cooked" in pine rosin and some are painted. Thanks a million for any help!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Photo added: Buzzbee
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:16:33 pm by buzzbee »

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Hives stolen from Taylorstown, PA area- Please be on the lookout
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 10:25:30 pm »
that sucks and you know it had to be someone comfortable with bees.  anyone else would have quit after the 1st hive!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 10:28:54 pm »
If they just took 7, they may be back next weekend.   Set up a camera.  And mark your hives.  Frames and all.   

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 10:49:10 pm »
id wait with more than a camera..

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 09:41:43 am »
id wait with more than a camera..
  I second that, but with a camera.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 10:29:36 am »
I swear I was at home the whole time!  :-D

Wasn't there another thread about some guy having questions about hives getting knocked over at night. Sounds a bit fishy to me.  :evil:

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,39177.0.html
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 08:32:18 pm »
Good eye Mike.    ;)

It has not been brought up yet, but they do make a GPS unit that goes into the hives.   They are advertised in the bee mags.   Locating the creeps and serving them some justice would be best.   I have been wondering if the hives were taken for a quick sale somewhere or were they to replace someones losses.   

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 09:57:34 am »
A number of years ago, I was down at Wilbanks in Georgia. Hard to remember, but I think it was Reggie (the son) who told me about a yard that had something like 20 hives missing one day. Reggie said he spent two or three days in a single prop plane searching for the hives. He found them on a river bank outside Savannah many miles from his place. (It must be nice to know most commercial guys and where most yards are located -  :)  ) I commented that he went to great lengths to get them back and his insurance could of easily covered the loss.

He said "When you allow it to happen once, and do nothing, it will continue to happen."
Contrast that to the guy I know who had 100 hives stolen a few years ago by a crook out of Ohio that was brokering pollination in California. (Some of you might know the details as this was discussed by many in the past) While visiting the beekeeper and discussing the theft, I asked what he was willing to do. Being Mennonite, he stated that he was not a judge or jury, nor did he now the personal problems of another and the cause of why someone did such a nasty deed. He stated that God would ultimately judge the individual and hoped that the person got "healed" from whatever afflicted him. Now I am not one to judge.....OK, yes I am...but it is hard for me to swallow knowing that when some are willing to turn the other cheek, that this will happen over and over again. I can respect his position that his religious convictions dictate they avoid litigation (and judging others) but I think in many ways, it just perpetuates the problem.

For me......I think my Louisville slugger bat might see a workout if I ever caught someone in my yards.  ;)

Just a few observations from over the years.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline JPBEEGETTER

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 07:18:04 pm »
I had 4 hives stolen Jun 27th, 2010, from my yard. now have them branded, still might not work but I try..