Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Help with Spliting  (Read 1855 times)

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
Help with Spliting
« on: June 01, 2006, 09:40:18 am »
I'm going to make some splits.I'm very Gimpy bad legs what do I do to keep the bees from going back to there old location I have new queens for my splits.
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline tig

• House Bee
Help with Spliting
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 10:27:21 am »
how far are they from the old location?  are you doing an on site or off site split?  if you want them not to go back to the old location, put them some distance from the original location, i would say at least 100 mts and preferably farther than that.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Help with Spliting
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 10:41:19 am »
!) Only way is to take 2 frames of emerging bees from hive at evening. When bees emerge during couple of days old bees return to home and emerged stays in new home. Many older bees will stay in nuc.

It takes some days to put in condition those nucs.

2) Another way is to put two frame of emerging bees into hive box and you put it over big hive. You have mesh between old hive and new box. Then you shut all holes and put queen with emerging bees. You must shake all other bees aways because they will attach on new queen.

When all holes are stuck and you wait 3 days, nuc has so much bees that they manage by themselves.

Then you put new box to it's site and restrict the room to two frame. You may make from polyuretane board 5- frame nuc hives or mating hives.

Offline tig

• House Bee
Help with Spliting
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 11:48:43 am »
i normally use a combination of on site and off site.  before i introduce the queen, i make a split and put it right bedside the mother colony to encourage the older bees to go back to the original colony, leaving the nuc with mostly young bees.  then i move the nuc out a day after and thats when i introduce the queen.  young bees accept a new queen much readily than older bees.  it helps keeping queen mortality down.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Help with Spliting
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 08:14:45 pm »
If you shake twice as many bees into the new hive as you want, half will go back.  :)

http://www.bushfarms.com/beessplits.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything