Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feeding Options  (Read 6005 times)

Offline lonewolf308

• New Bee
Feeding Options
« on: May 17, 2012, 10:31:47 am »
I am on the verge of receiving my first order of bees in a week and due to a mix up with Brushy Mnt. :roll: I'm waiting on the top feeder I ordered. I'm left with the entrance feeder that I received with my 8 frame English garden kit I ordered,which I really have no intention of using. If I don't receive the top feeder in time what would you recommend I do to feed my new hive? I know Michael suggests using a bottom feeder but I don't think that's a option at this point. Thanks

A little back story:
This obviously is my first attempt at bee keeping. I ordered my hive/equipment before I read Michael Bush's book. I have all 8 frame mediums though,I'm using a IPM bottom board, and I'm going foundationless. Also I know it's a little late in the spring but had to convince the girlfriend it was a safe hobby to have on her property..lol

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Feeding Options
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 10:35:32 am »
Put the entrance feeder over the inner cover hole.

http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/feeder-compare/
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline lonewolf308

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 10:59:05 am »
The main reason for not wanting to use the entrance feeder was because it's only about a quart in size which will have me refilling it to often. I'm only up there once a week and I doubt my GF is going to have the time( or the nerve right now)to do it herself. The other reason was having to bother the bees so often VS a top feeder.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 11:05:24 am »
Then go with a gallon jar or paint can from Lowe's or Home Depot.   On top of the inner cover doesn't bother the bees.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 12:27:53 pm »
i like a big jar over the inner cover.  you can check it without bother and change it without getting into the hive.  + it's cheap...or free, and i like that a lot!   :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline lonewolf308

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 07:14:28 pm »
Thanks for the help! I was probably going with a pail style feeder but thankfully Brushy Mnt. sent my top feeder finally. They have good customer service but poor updating on stock and order processing. Basically forgot I had ordered it and if it wasn't for me staying on top of them I never would have received it.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 07:57:52 pm »
Did you get the wooden one with the floats?
I was there Saturday hoping to catch up with a couple forum members. I did happen across CV Bees and his wife,ME girl from the forum.
I know Brushy had requested five day lead time if you wanted to pick items up on Package day. However, contacted them through live help on their web page and they accommodated me with a couple quick needs.
Were you there for the package install demo? Shaun did a pretty good job.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 08:06:40 pm »
I did a feeding video here:
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,36799.0.html
But I really need to redo it. Wind was an obstacle that day and lasted through the weekend when I planned on redoing the video.
Perhaps something for my list this weekend!!

Offline lonewolf308

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 06:51:53 pm »
Thanks for the video links. No I would have loved to go pick up some stuff but not able right now. Just a little snafu with keeping up with my order on Brushy Mnt's part. Things happen though and all is well. I got the wooden one with the floats I think I'll be happy.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 07:41:54 pm »
They had one on their demo hive outside. It looked like a nice setup with the floats. :)