Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen in the cage?  (Read 1592 times)

Offline _Brenda_

• House Bee
Queen in the cage?
« on: April 28, 2008, 09:43:20 am »
When I looked in the hive, to try to see if the queen was released yet, the bees were so thick on the queen cage, I couldn't see in it.
Since they were so thick on it, I assumed she's still in it, and will check again in a few days. Weather is cool and rainy, and tonight they're saying some frost, so re-checking must wait.
If she still hasn't been released when I check, how do you get the bees away from the queen cage, calmly?
I tried to brush a few away and that seemed to aggravate them. They buzzed my veil for awhile.
Brenda

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Queen in the cage?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 10:03:52 am »
Brenda, sometimes when I want to move the bees some very light breathing on them gets them to move away.  They don't like the carbon dioxide from breath, my bees move away.  Try that.  Bees do not like to be brushed one little bit.  When we were taught about brushing bees, we were taught to brush them briskly, not gently, and brush from the face first, not from their back ends, that annoys them even more, hee, heee, no one likes to be brushed on the butt!!!  Beautiful and most wonderful day that we need and deserve too.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline _Brenda_

• House Bee
Re: Queen in the cage?
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 01:34:27 pm »
Thanks Cindi. I'll try that next time.
I appreciate your input.  :)
Brenda