Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How do you weigh a hive?  (Read 2171 times)

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
How do you weigh a hive?
« on: September 27, 2009, 05:49:09 pm »
Just curious, how do you weigh a hive??

Cant imagine stepping on the digital bathroom scales with a full hive in my arms  :roll:

Mick

bigbearomaha

Re: How do you weigh a hive?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 05:52:36 pm »
The fella I used to help with his hives would buy a 'bathroom' scale low price and keep it out in his shed.  When he wanted to weigh something, it was always nearby and no one wet and waiting for their turn.

Big Bear

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 05:58:15 pm »
I use a spring scale hung from a lever.  I lift the back of the hive, allowing it to pivit on the front of the bottom board rails.  If you lift it about 2 inches the scale will register 1/2 of the hives weight.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 07:57:09 pm »
In pounds, not kilograms..........   :-*   :-P   :evil:

Two bathroom scales bought for less then 5.00 each at yard sales, or just estimate.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 11:57:42 pm »
Just curious, how do you weigh a hive??

Cant imagine stepping on the digital bathroom scales with a full hive in my arms  :roll:

Mick

Bath scale,put two 2x4s about 24 inches long on scale,set your scale to 0. Set your hive on.
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 12:41:23 am »
I raise the back end of the hive with my hand if I cant raise it easily it is about right to get thru winter it takes experience to get to know what is right. Doing it by this.
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 03:50:51 am »
I put bathroom scale under one side of hive and look "half hive weight". I ensure that hives have enough winterfood.
Language barrier NOT included