Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Log Books?  (Read 3874 times)

Offline Hopeful

• House Bee
Log Books?
« on: November 21, 2007, 07:05:39 pm »
I am wondering how many here keep log books about specific hives: what has been done, feeding, etc. If so , then can these books be purchased as a complete resource or do you simply keep things down in a steno pad?
"And this is life eternal...." "John 17:3

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: Log Books?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 07:10:36 pm »
I used a journal when I first started and actully had a number for each hive.  Now the easist way for me is to use colored push pins. Each color or combo of colors tells me what I need to do or check just by looking at the pins.
There were some hive mangement logs posted on here as well as some free software, just try the search feature and see what you can come up with.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 07:59:29 pm »
I was using a log book that I copied from "Beekeeping for Dummies" and I kept it up the first year. I only have 2 hives, so I really know what has been done and what I have to do. But I am sure if you have many hives you may forget to do something and so it would be wise to keep a log.

Now I just write things down on a calendar so I have some record of when I powder sugar treated them or did a hive inspection. I like the calendar best for me.

Annette

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 08:20:10 pm »
i have one on my computer that i dl'd from somewhere. wish i could remember where. i'll post back if i figure it out.
http://www.beesource.com/bee-l/bulletinboard/gary/index.htm
you need microsoft access for it.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 11:25:46 pm »
A sophisticated code of rocks and sticks in a tell tale pattern is the time honored way  :-D RDY-B

Offline Carriage House Farm

• House Bee
    • Carriage House Farm
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 12:10:45 am »
I am building an excel spreadsheet that I modified from the one I use to keep track of my produce production for organic certification.  I hope to have it ready relatively soon.

I'd love to be able to sue the old methods of a simple brick but I tend to be scatter brained a bit if I do not make a concentrated effort to make notes.  When I do I rock, when I don't, I tend to forget.

What ever way a person uses and it works is OK by me.

Anyways, if you want a copy of what I make to try it out or want to see what I have so far to add input or help modify, I'll be more than happy to work with you or anyone else over the winter.
Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 11:57:05 pm »
Hopeful, I am an avid record keeper.  Since I began beekeeping in April 2005, I have kept a record of things I do every time I enter into the hives.  I keep records also of what flowers are blooming when, seeding dates, planting dates, anything relevant to the beekeeping scene.  There are times when no record keeping of hive work is required, but anything that is even in the slightest bit important to jot to memory, it is written down.

I can look back on my records and I find it is extremely useful to see when "events" take place with the beekeeping.  I would have it no other way.  I have 9 hives this year and it only takes a moment when I am finished with each hive to jot down what I see, my impressions, etc.  At the end of the season, when I am finished my work with the colonies, I take the time to re-write these rough notes into a more permanent type larger sized book.  It is impressive to me when I re-read what has gone on with the girls for that season and I enjoy it.  It takes me back to the beautiful dog days of summer, the days of bees and flowers, long gone, but will be coming forth no sooner than the back is turned.

I only use a notebook type log.  I will probably always keep records such as I do.  I do not ever plan to have more than 20 hives (I used to think that I would never have any more than 10, but as experience is gained, confidence is higher).  It seems that the more you know (or think that you know) about beekeeping, things always make a little more sense and it becomes easier with understanding.

Try and learn all that you can, you are on the road to some wonderful aspirations, and you will accomplish these, good for you, yea!!!!

Have a wonderful and beautiful day on our great planet, Earth.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline mlewis48

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 12:10:17 am »
 I use a small note pad untill I get back  to my p.c and then I have a  spread sheet that I log in date, time, treatments, condition of colonies, what is blooming on and on.  :-D
" Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are gonna get"

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 01:25:45 am »
I keep a journal on my PC.  I note date and what was done in each hive.  Since I don't work all hives on the same day I can keep track of what I'm doing, done and worried about.  Right now my hives are noted by the breed,  year I bought, inherited, or captured and a letter one year and a number the next.  My system and right now it works for me.  That of course is subject to change if I split or obtain more colonies.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 08:58:28 am »
i have one that was sent to me by some-one on the forum pm me and i'll send it to who ever wants

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 09:00:07 am »
i have one that was sent to me by some-one on the forum. Pm me at ssmikle@yahoo.com and i'll send it who ever wants

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 11:29:55 am »
Currently using the ones at mybeehives.com and they are working OK. I have spent sometime converting the Access database from Gary Piantanida at Hirschbach Apiary to able to be used in Open Office, hopefully finished soon. This is a good one if you have Microsoft Access.

DennisB

Offline taipantoo

• House Bee
  • Me after six weeks of sun in Nome, Alaska
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 12:57:59 pm »
I thought Open Office could now read and write to Microsoft Office and save files in that format.
Am I wrong or do you need to update your version of Open Office?
If I am right, it may save you a lot of time.

I will check this out as soon as I can.

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2007, 03:20:54 pm »
Open Office does open the file fine, but it does not display the same form displays as Access. That is the part that I am working on. Basically it is for the ease of use for those (like me) that want a nicer looking form to pop up. I am always looking for help in that area if you can.

Thanks
DennisB

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2007, 07:18:38 pm »
I am wondering how many here keep log books about specific hives: what has been done, feeding, etc. If so , then can these books be purchased as a complete resource or do you simply keep things down in a steno pad?
I've actually created a database on my Palm OS unit (I've got a Garmin iQue 3600 that runs the Palm OS and is also a GPS unit).  I used a program called HanDBase.  I do make short notes in it every time we go into any of the hives. 

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2007, 07:20:47 pm »
Open Office does open the file fine, but it does not display the same form displays as Access. That is the part that I am working on. Basically it is for the ease of use for those (like me) that want a nicer looking form to pop up. I am always looking for help in that area if you can.

Thanks
DennisB
Dennis, I'm glad you're working on this.  I tried, but I'm just not good enough at the differences to make anything work. 

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2007, 10:24:05 pm »
I asked the IT guy at my business to give me a hand also. We are in the process of going open source with as many programs as possible in my business. Sometimes it goes very smoothly other times it takes a lot more work. The program works very well but the forms are more utilitarian. I am able to drop in my notes as soon as I get finished with the hives and go to the house. If a beek has to drive to his hives, using a laptop in the truck works just as well. It can always be expanded in scope as one can at a later time. I sure look forward to hearing from anyone that can can help. The bones of this program from Hirschbach are fantastic.

anything