Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: suggestions please  (Read 1107 times)

Offline scoobee

• House Bee
suggestions please
« on: August 13, 2010, 12:07:34 pm »
I put a post on here the other day that the state bee inspector came and inspected my hive. During the inspection, she told me that they were crowded and that I should add another box. okay, so while she was here I got another deep that I just bought and we were getting ready to add it. Now, I had a bottom deep and a medium on top. I told her that I would rather replace the medium with the second deep and put the medium on top. She didn't think that it really mattered, and probably didn't. So we did just that. I now have two deeps and a medium. But, something has really been bugging me. During the inspection and talking with her, I forgot to ask if I should move a couple of frames from the bottom and put them in the second deep.
            So, now I have this arrangement but don't have any frames from the bottom with brood in the second. Should I  go out now and take a couple of frames from the bottom and put them in the second deep or will it not make any difference?
               My concern is that when I added the medium as the second, they filled all 10 frames with uncapped honey and no brood. It's as  if the queen wasn't told that there was another place to give her more room to lay. Or, should I take the new deep and instead of putting it on top, put it on the bottom so they can build down?
           Thank you in advance.            Bob

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
Re: suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 01:13:28 pm »
I think if I put the new deep on top of the old one, I would take the outermost brood frames from the bottom and put them into the new one, replacing them with empties. If I put the new deep on the very bottom, I wouldn't do anything with the frames. If someone with more experience does it differently, we'll both learn something! :)

Offline scoobee

• House Bee
Re: suggestions please
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 03:19:14 pm »
Thanx for your input fellow Firefighter, sounds good to me. Bob