Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 4 G of ram, a good question  (Read 5091 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
4 G of ram, a good question
« on: September 27, 2008, 10:41:37 am »
Just popping in for a minute to ask a question, I'll be back later, gotta let the chickens out pretty quick, they are a'squawking away, hee, hee. 

A few nights ago (well actually last Sunday night), I had to contact Dell, whom we had purchased my laptop.  It is a Inspiron 1501, with 2 Gs of ram, using Vista.  I had not been able to hook up to the internet for a couple of days.  All other laptops here worked fine.  I thought it may have been the network card again, which I had replaced on this laptop in February last.

My sojourn with Dell was about 3 hours long, all the techs are in India, go figure that one, surely gotta wonder what that long distance charge will be.

As it turned out, the drivers were corrupt.  He took over my computer remotely, and it was the time of my life watching him do all the stuff to my computer, it was rather an odd feeling actually, it was like some alien had jumped down and was sitting beside me with an invisible hand.  Enough of that.  He had to download new drivers from the website, along with many other things, including giving me a new IP address, for my computer only, my hard drive was having a difficult time with several other routers that it was getting, shall I say, "confused" with.  Anyways, after all was said and done, things are good again.

He indicated that I had an excellent internet provider and that part of my system was fast, but suggested that with the size of the operating system of Vista that I upgrade to 4 G of ram, from the 2 that I currently have.  THey had a "great deal" on 2 (2 G of ram) and that I would notice a very great increase in speed of my computer with going to 4 from the two.  Listening to his advice, I ordered the 4 G and it would come in the mail shortly (and it did on Tuesday, pretty fast stuff).

My Husband installed the new ram for me (taking the old ram from my computer and putting it in his, so that was good for him too).  The dude at Dell told me that it was better to get 2 new pieces of that software, than to put in one new piece of software and keep the old one (prob just a sales gimic, but that is OK, my Husband's computer will be faster too, and that is a good thing too).

Eeeks!!!!!  I am ramblin', I had just a short little question and look what happened now.  A book has been written, and oh, the chickens are now really screamin' to be let out, oh well, suck it up, they are just gonna have to wait, I am king of their roost, hee, hee.

Why do I ramble so?  I think that I may almost forgotten the question that I was going to ask.  Right, now what was that thing anyways?

Oh yes, with the increase to 4 g (how do you type gigabyte anyways?), where should I notice speed enhancements.  Please list all areas.  I do notice that my computer shuts down about 5 times faster and boots up about 10 times faster, so those are the only two improvements that I can see, but man oh man, are they ever nice improvements.  Looking forward to reading some answers later on (hint, hint!!!).  Have that most wonderful, beautiful day, groove on and love our great lives we all live and share, my friends.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: 4 G of ram, a good question
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 10:53:40 am »
Cindi,
With more ram any large app should work more smoothly,such as MS office or open office,and when doing things like uploading pictures to a photo account while web browsing it akllows the internet connection to become the bottleneck again rather than the computers ability to process that info.
 It also makes a better online video eperience when watching things at places like youtube.

As far as a call to India,many of the computer manufactures outsource their customer support overseas.I have had that experience with HP as well along with help for tracfone service.
It can be very frustrating when you get someone with lousy enlish trying to help you and you need to call back to get someone you can understand.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 11:38:45 am »
Ken, thank you for that response.  Now....guess I'll have to check out if ImageShack works faster, I found it worked pretty good anyways, so I'll bring a couple of pictures into a forum in a few minutes.

About the call to India.  I was surprised at how good the English was of the rep.  He spoke clearly, excellent command of the English language and was the most polite and patient person, ever, I liked that, and would recommend Dell to anyone (as I did in the short survey they asked me to complete this morning, after my sales call to them, yeah!!!).  Beauty.  Have that most wonderful and awesome day, Cindi

Ken, by the way, I just loaded several pictures to a post.  I was shocked at the speed of how the images were uploaded to ImageShack, and copied and pasted into the post.  There was not even a moment of lag time, as fast as I could move the mouse the action was performed, yeah!!!  Now I am really glad that I was convinced to give my laptop some more ram!!!  C.
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 02:32:31 pm »
Just popping in for a minute to ask a question, I'll be back later, gotta let the chickens out pretty quick, they are a'squawking away, hee, hee. 

A few nights ago (well actually last Sunday night), I had to contact Dell, whom we had purchased my laptop.  It is a Inspiron 1501, with 2 Gs of ram, using Vista.  I had not been able to hook up to the internet for a couple of days.  All other laptops here worked fine.  I thought it may have been the network card again, which I had replaced on this laptop in February last.

My sojourn with Dell was about 3 hours long, all the techs are in India, go figure that one, surely gotta wonder what that long distance charge will be.

As it turned out, the drivers were corrupt.  He took over my computer remotely, and it was the time of my life watching him do all the stuff to my computer, it was rather an odd feeling actually, it was like some alien had jumped down and was sitting beside me with an invisible hand.  Enough of that.  He had to download new drivers from the website, along with many other things, including giving me a new IP address, for my computer only, my hard drive was having a difficult time with several other routers that it was getting, shall I say, "confused" with.  Anyways, after all was said and done, things are good again.

He indicated that I had an excellent internet provider and that part of my system was fast, but suggested that with the size of the operating system of Vista that I upgrade to 4 G of ram, from the 2 that I currently have.  THey had a "great deal" on 2 (2 G of ram) and that I would notice a very great increase in speed of my computer with going to 4 from the two.  Listening to his advice, I ordered the 4 G and it would come in the mail shortly (and it did on Tuesday, pretty fast stuff).

My Husband installed the new ram for me (taking the old ram from my computer and putting it in his, so that was good for him too).  The dude at Dell told me that it was better to get 2 new pieces of that software, than to put in one new piece of software and keep the old one (prob just a sales gimic, but that is OK, my Husband's computer will be faster too, and that is a good thing too).

Eeeks!!!!!  I am ramblin', I had just a short little question and look what happened now.  A book has been written, and oh, the chickens are now really screamin' to be let out, oh well, suck it up, they are just gonna have to wait, I am king of their roost, hee, hee.

Why do I ramble so?  I think that I may almost forgotten the question that I was going to ask.  Right, now what was that thing anyways?

Oh yes, with the increase to 4 g (how do you type gigabyte anyways?), where should I notice speed enhancements.  Please list all areas.  I do notice that my computer shuts down about 5 times faster and boots up about 10 times faster, so those are the only two improvements that I can see, but man oh man, are they ever nice improvements.  Looking forward to reading some answers later on (hint, hint!!!).  Have that most wonderful, beautiful day, groove on and love our great lives we all live and share, my friends.  Cindi

This is the question I wanna see answered, or can it be?

...JP :-D
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 02:28:35 pm »
JP, oh you funnnneeee!!!  You know darn well that question cannot be answered,  8-) ;) :) :)  There is no one on this earth that would know that answer, come on, eh!!!  Have that most wonderfully awesome day, Cindi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 04:10:43 pm »
JP, oh you funnnneeee!!!  You know darn well that question cannot be answered,  8-) ;) :) :)  There is no one on this earth that would know that answer, come on, eh!!!  Have that most wonderfully awesome day, Cindi

;) ;) ;) Ramble all you want sweety!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 01:52:34 pm »
I've heard that Windows Vista reccomends that you have at least 2 gigs of ram. Vista uses a lot of ram so the more the better. If you were using windows xp the 4 gigs would do you no good unless you are running 64bit. Most of us gamers here get more ram but it is more for the bragging rights than anything.

Offline DennisD

• House Bee
  • Catchin' the latest buzz
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 02:32:51 pm »
Yes, Vista is a RAM PIG!!!!!

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 08:27:12 pm »
I've heard that Windows Vista reccomends that you have at least 2 gigs of ram. Vista uses a lot of ram so the more the better. If you were using windows xp the 4 gigs would do you no good unless you are running 64bit. Most of us gamers here get more ram but it is more for the bragging rights than anything.

Well thats not quite right, you only see the 2.50 gb that windows allows, however the remaining amount is available to windows, but its system memory as opposed to application memory, if you enable PAE on xp and mostly it should be by default xp in 32 bit mode can utilize the memory. It just doesn't show it there.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

anything