Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Year long loan of bees  (Read 1833 times)

Offline acepestdetective

• New Bee
Year long loan of bees
« on: January 02, 2010, 10:41:45 am »
Hi all.

I'm looking at taking a year out and seeing a bit of the world in April/May and thus looking to loan my bees out for a year or so.

I currently have 4 colonies (winter dependant of course) which are in WBC's. There will be around 2 supers supplied with each hive and I'm just wondering what you would ask for in return for letting someone have the bees?

I would expect the same quantity of colonies back after but just wondering whether to ask for a % of any honey removed for example of if there's a going rate?

Yours, head scratchingly,

Rob.

Offline homer

• House Bee
Re: Year long loan of bees
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 10:56:51 am »
Personally, I would make sure you give your bees to someone that you trust and that you know will take very good care of them.  If someone is going to take care of your bees for a year for you then I would not ask anything in return.  Just be happy to get back a healthy hive.  Yet I don't think you'll have success getting anyone to take care of them for you if you're going to have that stipulation.  Too many things can happen that could cause a hive to have problems that wouldn't necessarily be at the fault of the care taker.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 11:15:52 am »
i am with homer.  you are asking someone to babysit your bees.  maybe you should pay them?  :-)

i would pick someone who knew about bees.  also someone who lived in a good place for bees.  other than that...will you expect them to feed for you?  will they get to keep any honey?

if i were the bee-sitter, i would only do it if i were not held responsible for the demise of the hives.  who knows what can happen in a year?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline acepestdetective

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 11:39:42 am »
Hi all.

After reading your thoughts I may have been a little expectant and getting the bees back in one piece would be more than I could expect.

Will have a word with a few of those in my LAN and a couple of friends I know who will have the time and passion to help out. May leave one colony alone where they are just to see how they get on too and check their survival instincts.

Thanks for your advice. Job done.

Offline manfre

• House Bee
    • Backyard Apiary
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 12:20:43 pm »
Have you thought about outright selling your hives before your vacation? When you return, you will be guaranteed healthy hives because you can buy new ones.
Backyard Apiary - My adventures in beekeeping.
Brewed By Us - A social site for homebrewers (beer, mead, etc.) to share recipes and brew journals.

anything