Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wax Moth  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Beaver Dam

• House Bee
Wax Moth
« on: November 25, 2008, 06:10:05 pm »
Help! I've lost 2 hives to,I think wax moths. What can I do to keep them from destroing my other 2 hives?

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
Re: Wax Moth
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 07:51:42 pm »
 I learned recently that if theres to much space in a hive( like too many boxes) the bees cant stay ahead of the moths...I lost 2 hives this year too...I just discovered one of the losses about 3 days ago.. It was a hive that I left a honey super on( I was gonna see if I could get just a couple more frames of honey before winter)..When I looked in not only was the one full frame empty of honey but the bees were gone also!And this was in a time period of about 3 weeks!
 Thats all I know about that! :)
your friend,
john

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 09:43:52 pm »
 Beaver Dam, do a search on wax moths here and you will get more education than you can digest in one reading. It is not a matter of thinking it is/was moths, you will know when you open the hives. Moths are usually the end result of another problem causing the hive to weaken or too much space after the queen takes a break from laying due to time of year.
 Your location helps with answers. Much different here in Fl. than say, Wis..
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Beaver Dam

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 01:04:52 am »
Did a search. Looking for a treatment now. Search did not revile much in the way of treatment.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 08:34:17 am »
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan