Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Trap out  (Read 2409 times)

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
Trap out
« on: June 11, 2008, 11:45:47 am »
I had a guy come to me yesterday saying he had bees in his tree.  I can't cut the tree down, but was curious to the best method of a trap out.  I have a screen funnel and some woodenware.  I know its a long drawn out process but want to give it a shot.  Lemon grass oil?  Probably be best to try to entice them with drawn comb as well.  Thoughts, experiences appreciated. 

David

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Trap out
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 01:52:42 pm »
A funnel trap and a hive with a queen within 12" of the entrance is my suggestion.  Some will say you don't need a queen in the lure hive, but I have never been successful in getting a queen out when trapping and end up with laying workers.  Even when using bee robber to force then out.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline catfishbill

• House Bee
Re: Trap out
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 02:07:31 pm »
i am also in the middle of a trap out.it was not working so good at the beginning.they are between floors on a two story house and going in and out where the porch attaches to the house between the floors.we fashioned a box and tried to funnel them to a bee escape cone going into a piece of pvc into the hive.it has taken two weeks and adding some brood from another hive but we now have some(little)sucess.checked yesterday afternoon and had three frames filled up with bees.
has anyone ever got the queen to come out or is that an impossibility.the home owner does not want to cut up his house so i am stuck.it has been about two weeks now.thanks for any help.bill

anything