Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Quick question on strengthening hives.  (Read 2655 times)

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
Quick question on strengthening hives.
« on: August 15, 2012, 12:03:50 am »
I'm in my first year and have six hives. I have one that I created from a split that is pretty weak. The colony has a laying queen and is situated in one 8 frame deep. I was wondering if it is correct to take a couple of frames of capped brood from my stronger hives to build this hive up and maybe add a frame of honey?
Later,
Ray

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Quick question on strengthening hives.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 07:59:16 am »
Yep, that is how you do it.  When I have a really weak nuc like that (1 frame), I tend to put new frames of brood on the other side of the nuc at first.  I get concerned about the new bees attacking the queen in such a weak hive and hence add frames in that fashion.  I really don’t know for sure if it’s necessary, but it’s what I do just to be a little safer.  I merge the frames all together a few days later.   I don’t brush the bees off the brood frames since those bees are going to be needed to keep the new brood frames warm.

Also watch out for robbers when you do this as some of the bees on the frames you add will no doubt be field bees from the donor hive.  Those bees will let the donor hive know where there is honey for the taking.

Offline Buffalo Bee Farm

• New Bee
    • Buffalo Bee Farm
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 04:12:49 pm »
i simply swap locations with a strong hive... the foragers will go into this hive just fine and add strength to it.

However if you want nurse bees you need to add brood and attached bees... however i do find simply swapping locations to be easier and quicker and works great...

I seldom add brood if all i am looking for is a larger population... also reduces the honey eaters in late summer in those corwded hives reducing their comsumption rate which helps th strong hive...

so its a win win in my mind...

commerical guys call this "equalizing"...

Offline keswickB

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 07:01:30 pm »
Can you still switch locations in a dearth?

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 11:07:31 am »
Thanks y'all. Sounds like I can build them up from several hives. Equalizing, I like that. SHB hit this hive petty hard. The beatles got 3 frames of brood. Set them back pretty bad.
Later,
Ray

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 10:38:32 pm »
i simply swap locations with a strong hive... the foragers will go into this hive just fine and add strength to it.
commercial guys call this "equalizing"...

that is a hazard job. It is very different what commercial guys do and what does first year beekeeper.

At least you destroy a good  foraging hive. Second thing  is that you may get rid off one or both queens.

Xxxxxxx

when you give a frame of emerging brood, that is simple and effective trick. Shake all bees off that they do not kill the queen.

If you give 2 frames to a weak colony, probably it is not able to keep all brood alive and part of brood will die. You may give a second  frame after a week.

But it is well done if your are first year beek and 6 hives. You will be in a hurry next year.

Language barrier NOT included