Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Combining New Packages  (Read 1194 times)

Offline SawBee

• New Bee
Combining New Packages
« on: March 23, 2013, 05:45:09 pm »
Quote from Finski in another thread:

"The best build up you get if you join 2 packages. Nothing wins that system."

I'm expecting 4 new packages if the next few weeks.  If I combine two packages with plans to split them later,  will I have stronger hives than I would if I just feed each of the four individual packages?

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
Re: Combining New Packages
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 05:54:43 pm »
What are you going to do with the 2 extra queens?
Wouldn't it be better to buy a bigger package?
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline SawBee

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 05:59:07 pm »
I would bank the queens or use them to re-queen another hive if needed.   Yes, a bigger package would be great, but the packages are ordered and being shipped from Georgia.  Early spring packages aren't available in Kansas.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 06:04:18 pm »
I would keep those queens and put them in nucs if you have them. Let the packages build up fast and try for honey in the spring while nucs build up.  Then hive nucs after they fill out.
After honey flow then make splits from the big hives. You wind up with6 hives that way
And possible honey production
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline SawBee

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 06:50:30 pm »
Great suggestions Bailey.   Many thanks!