4 (5.6%)
Started elsewhere - Now use Wax
10 (14.1%)
Started elsewhere - Now use Plastic
20 (28.2%)
Started elsewhere - Now foundation-less
10 (14.1%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Foundation preference and path to using it!  (Read 7001 times)

Moots

Foundation preference and path to using it!
« on: November 01, 2013, 02:00:11 am »
OK...guys and gals, not really looking for a debate of why we all do what we do concerning foundation.  That's been debated fairly well in other threads.  As a matter of fact, another current thread with some passionate opinions on the subject of foundation is what gave me the idea for this poll.  Thought it would be nice to know not only what was people's preference but to also know if that was always their preferred choice, or had a different path led them there.

Offline merince

• House Bee
    • Maria's Bees
Re: Foundation preference and path to using it!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 10:54:49 am »
I started with foundationless. Tried wax and plastic - plastic was a total bust. Now I use both wax and foundationless.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 11:26:25 am »
Tried plastic, went to wax, going to a combination of foundation and foundationless.
Later,
Ray

Offline MsCarol

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 11:37:05 am »
Tried plastic, went to wax, going to a combination of foundation and foundationless.

What he said!!  :-D

Simply bumbling around to find what works for me.

IF I wanted plastic, my over the ridge neighbor has a stack of it in his barn.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 12:05:32 pm »
First experience with bees was with a large (at the time 1000 hives was large) in the mid 70's and they were a mixed bag.  I believe The Deeps (broodnests) were mostly foundationless and the honey supers were all shallows with wax foundation, but it was along time ago  :-\.  Over the years of 'playing with bees' off and on (until becoming a serious bee 'keeper') I used wax because that's what everybody else did, a BIG bandwagon.  The basic start up kit comes with one or two deeps, a medium, a shallow, inner and outer covers, along with 'wax foundation' to place inside the frames.  The only directions offered to beginners was/is for proper placement, not necessarily other options, unless it meant an upgrade of some sort of an even 'better' foundation or .........plastic.  Frankly I don;t understand the logic for using plastic and remain unconvinced that they work very well or that the bees wouldn't rather not have them in their homes.  Sorry.............to drone on..................  

We can;t help our desire to do something, find something...better.  Part of the human condition and not a bad thing, usually  :-D.

Beeks began experimenting with their own homemade foundations well over 100 years ago as far as I can tell, making it a relatively new addition to beekeeping, not any older than the Lang hives most of use I suspect, but they really didn't take off until someone figured out how to manufacture embossed foundation on an industrial scale.  I guess it was that, the whole industrialization of the process is what turned me off and sent me toward a foundationless system.  That and not knowing where any of the wax came from.  IMO; My bees (only mine now  ;) have never been happier.

Sorry to stray.........................it is my way...................These are just my own observations  :embarassed:  Take what you want, leave what you don't.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 12:24:40 pm »
Started with wax and wiring because at the time it was cheapest.  Went to duragilt because it was fast and worked well if you know how to get foundation drawn.  Had pierce plastic when it was fairly new.  They all work. 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 01:14:16 pm »
I started with wax, because most writings said it was the best. I was forced to use plastic because that was all my local supplier had when I went to buy it and he used it. Now all I use is medium plasticel.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 02:53:51 pm »
I use wooden double Deep frames with wax in the brood nest

Then a Queen excluder

Shallows with all plastic frames in the honey supers.

I love extracting plastic frames and really hate extracting wax frames, HATE them.

I can spin the plastic frames fast and hard without them breaking or falling apart.

Also I can use my uncapping wax to prime my plastic frames so I know where the wax has been  ;)

mvh Edward  :-P

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 12:02:24 am »

More or less the same.. I bought three hundred or so of the 4.9 mm all plastic frames and when I need to start a new hive, nuc or super i drop them in between the foundationless. two in a nuc three in a ten frame box. Normally the bees go for the foundationless first so it allows me to remove the plastic once they get a few frames well underway and drop in more foundtionless..  Once in a blue moon they will draw the plastic. When they do that I leave it in there. SO I cant really say I am totally foundationless. I also have five hives that are not regressed that have ritecell in them. slowly weeding it out.. 
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 12:23:41 am »
similar experience to tbeek. started in a commercial operation in the late 70's we used wax then tried duragilt and found that if the comb was damaged the bees wouldn't rebuild then went back to wax.  i mostly use wax now but have done a little foundationless.  i'd like to eventually get all my deeps foundationless and use wired foundation in my mediums.

Offline gov1623

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 01:01:52 am »
I have all types in my hives. Wax, plastic, foundationless, and they all work about the same for me.  I been using mostly foundationless, not because the bees like it better, but rather because it is the easiest for me.
Who Dat!!!

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 06:12:39 am »
Never having done this before I have to ask a question,

If you have plastic foundation can you harvest the comb? I like comb in my honey but it seems like it would be tricky to do so.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 07:10:19 am »
If you have plastic foundation can you harvest the comb? I like comb in my honey but it seems like it would be tricky to do so.

It wont bee beautiful, but all you do is scrape it of the frame.

mvh Edward  :-P

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 12:05:59 pm »
If it were just me, I'd go regress foundationless. But people like to see full frames of comb in their nucs. So I stay w/ plasticell.
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 10:40:43 pm »
started with wax foundation.  went to foundationless.  path:  cheap and lazy.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2013, 11:19:42 pm »
Never having done this before I have to ask a question,

gary get some thin surplus foundation for comb honey or no foundation.  you can do like edward said but he's right, it won't be pretty.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 05:45:16 am »
If you are going to eat it or feed it to others that are going to eat the wax i would never use wax that i didn't have 100% knowledge of that it is free from chemicals.

Go with foundationless and let the bees draw new fresh wax that hasn't been used for larvae either.

mvh Edward  :-P

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 06:28:28 am »
Is there any wax free from chemicals?  Including comb drawn naturally by bees?  I 'think' not.  

Is wax (comb) made naturally (bee drawn comb) better or less contaminated than what can be purchased?  I'd have to say yes....but only to a point and depending on what and where nectar was foraged, how old the comb is, which is why combs s/b removed/replaced every 5 years or so.  Candle making time?

Fresh 'cut comb' is likely the safest.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 07:52:42 am by T Beek »
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 08:19:11 am »
yeah, with all the soybean and cotton farming going on down here i doubt that naturally drawn comb is much cleaner than foundation. 

Offline Brother Dave

• House Bee
    • West Island Wild Flower
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 10:24:13 pm »
I started with foundation-less frames then tried some plastic foundation a more exp beek recommended to me. I got straighter combs with my foundation-less methods so I am culling out the plastic foundation.

My first reason for not using foundation is because I appreciate the cost savings.