Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Clothes line pole  (Read 12831 times)

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Clothes line pole
« on: October 20, 2010, 10:31:00 am »
Our clothes line pole in the backyard has been there probably since the late 70's when the house was built. The pole has rusted at the base and now has fallen over (Dang kids hanging on it).  :roll:

Anyways, it got me thinking. Does anyone carry these anymore? Or are they a long ago product that nobody produces anymore.

I do not have my own welding equipment, but the guy down the road can probably throw one together for me. I don't want some cheap stuff. But something that will last another 30-40 years.

I just can't honestly think of seeing any around for sale anyplace. Has anybody else? Or is this, or was this just a "farm" produced type thing anyways?

Thank you.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Clothes line pole
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 10:37:42 am »
I saw them as recently as a year ago at Sears.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 10:46:19 am »
Thank you Scott.

I had not checked Sears. I did check tractor supply, and a few other places.

What I'm looking for are the heavy cast poles that you can sink in the ground in concrete and string 3 or 4 lines between two poles, maybe 30-40 foot apart. Years ago, it seemed every backyard had this setup. Not really into the folding aluminum stuff they have out now.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 11:09:05 am »
I love the smell and fell of bed sheets line dried as well as the feel of blue jeans when you first put them on after being out on the line.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 11:40:43 am »
I have the same set up as you describe. We've been here 20yrs and it was undoubtedly there for quite a few before we moved in. It looks about the same as it did back then...I'll bet the newer ones aren't of the same quality. Good luck finding a good line!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 02:05:44 pm »
One clothesline post = one galvanized 2" pipe 9-10' long, two galvanized 2" pipe 30" long, one 2" galvanized Tee. All available at a plumbing supply and they will thread the pipe ends for you. No welding required!  :-D

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 07:37:23 am »
And when you dig a hole to cement them in the ground,taper the hole smaller at the top and larger as you go down. This will help so the frost does not push them up.( for those of us that know what a frost line is :))

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 08:05:43 am »
And when you dig a hole to cement them in the ground,taper the hole smaller at the top and larger as you go down. This will help so the frost does not push them up.( for those of us that know what a frost line is :)

:lau: :lau: :lau:

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 08:12:34 am »
How does the frost buildup get from your freezer to outside on your clothesline?      :-D

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 07:17:19 pm »
How does the frost buildup get from your freezer to outside on your clothesline?      :-D

Whem you let the freezer door open!! :)

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 12:14:50 am »
You can find all of the galvanized pipe parts already threaded at any of your local big box stores. You may also pick up some eye bolts and a good drill bit while your there for multiple lines off of the cross pieces.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 12:12:28 am »
Maybe the guy down the road could weld on a short piece of pipe on to your broken one and put it back in the ground. Harold

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 12:52:47 am »
mine is ancient.  it's welded pipe about 6 ft tall in a T.  has holes drilled in the top bar and heavy wire strung through.  would be easy enough to make if you could weld and drill, but that pipe must be expensive now.  and yes, sink it deep!!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline kingbee

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 05:09:22 pm »
Hows about a few pieces of 2 inch black iron pipe.  No welding needed if you can cut and thread these together using a "T" or three way couple.  At least something to look at instead of buying store bought poles.  You may even be able to find a deal close to home on scrap pipe.

Offline Bsweet

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 07:30:35 pm »
Aw heck just drag the swing set around where the post was and run the wires to it, that way the kids won't get into trouble for palying on the cloths line.  :-D Jim
If your body hurts when you wake up,go ahead and make coffee cuz you ain't dead

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 10:28:56 pm »
Some 4x4 treated posts make a decent one.  As for where to find one for sale I haven't seen any that aren't homemade. 
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!