Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First tractor you drove ?  (Read 182 times)

Offline Sour Kraut

• House Bee
First tractor you drove ?
« on: June 17, 2017, 04:08:22 PM »
OK, so after Mom passed away last summer, we had the gigantic task of cleaning out the house and getting rid of old farm equipment.

My brother took the Farmall H, my nephew's cousin bought the Oliver 880, but I'm happy to report that the FIRST tractor I ever drove ( well, tried to steer, standing between Dad's legs ) the oliver 77, has found a home at my son's house.

Wonder what all the college professor types in the neighborhood think ?

Offline sawdstmakr

• Galactic Bee
Re: First tractor you drove ?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 06:34:55 AM »
I do not remember what the first tractor that I drove was, my uncle had several. It was either a Massy Fergason or a JD.
The first one that I owned was a 53 Ferguson. Not a Massy Ferguson. It was built after Ford renigged on the deal with Ferguson and stole his 3 point lift system. Ferguson then stole the tractor design and they were both building the same tractors.
Jim
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 10:40:30 PM »
Have to say... Ford 8N. Great little tractor. I think I was 7 when I learned to drive.

The Kubota I have now with just under twice the power, a bucket and a back hoe is a lot more functional.

There is definitely some nostalgia when ever I see an old 8N.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 11:04:21 PM »
My first tractor to drive was an Allis Chambers C, we also had a G which I liked a lot better.  Now I have 3 tractors smallest one is a 255 British Leyland, biggest is a 72 HP Massey Ferguson with big front end loader.  Would like to still have the old G.

Joe D

Offline herbhome

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 11:21:37 PM »
x2 on the 8N. Wish I still had it. :smile:

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 01:51:52 PM »
Old farmall international, probably early 50 model or older.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 09:46:24 AM »
My first looked like this:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/483222234988966783

6 volt battery.  Foot switch starter.  No road gear...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Acebird

• Super Bee
  • Practicing non intervention beekeeping
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 02:04:01 PM »
I got a 601 and an 805.  They look like the 8n,9n but the first was a Massey Ferguson which was my friends.  The HP ratings of the new tractors are inflated compared to these models.  Most are hydraulic so they have to be de-rated again for that loss.  Of course the new ones do have advantages but longevity is not one of them.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything