Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Resuscitating chilly bees  (Read 1814 times)

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
Resuscitating chilly bees
« on: March 09, 2013, 06:21:27 pm »
OK, I know this is silly in the scheme and scale of beekeeping, but it was a surprise and it felt good! Some bees were flying in sub-50 temps till the sun went in, when I found some who didn't make it back in time, seemingly dead (curled up, legs crossed, no movement) on the snow and the entrance. Just for the heck of it I picked one up and blew on it in my cupped hand; after about 15 seconds I saw one antennae quiver, followed soon after (with more breathing on it) by some tremors in the back legs, followed quickly by full leg movement and standing up! Within another 15 seconds, the abdomen was pulsing and the bee was walking around, and walked back into the upper entrance when I placed my hand there. So far I am 5 for 5  - progression in all cases exactly the same. I know that the numbers are meaningless, but with nothing else at this time of year that you can do to help your bees, it felt like something ;)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Resuscitating chilly bees
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 06:43:04 pm »
i was waiting for 'followed soon after by sting in the palm of my hand'  :evil:.

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline fshrgy99

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 06:45:01 pm »
Very cool (no pun intended). Having seen many bees in the snow I laid a large piece of plywood down like a super landing strip. Very nice and sunny today and bees very active. My feet got cold in the snow watchng them.

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 07:35:54 pm »
Yeah, I was thinking about the sting possibility, but figured that all the good mojo I was projecting, and the resultant gratitude of the bee ( :-D) would protect me... I also figured they'd still be too stunned to think about it just coming out of a coma!

Offline patriotgirlie

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 09:52:43 pm »
I found a bee tree in my side yard, and have done the same thing.  It makes your heart swell with happiness to see that little girl go flying away, happy and healthy!

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 11:07:50 pm »
You all know we like our bugs to much. :)
Later,
Ray

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 11:55:34 pm »
That was too cool.  :)

Thanks for sharing.

We have to do what we can when we can.

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 08:49:35 pm »
So today, a whole mess of bees got stranded when the sun went in - what to do?! So, I did 'em by the handful, 10 - 12 at a time! Worked great, only three that didn't revive, and two got lively enough to fly off (Glad it wasn't while I had my mouth open right over them!). Back on their feet one by one and back into the upper entrance.