Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: swarms have started  (Read 11997 times)

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
Re: swarms have started
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 01:32:19 am »
Thanks, will do.
I'm going to start buying & assembling my woodware next week so I should be ready in a couple of weeks.
Paul.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 02:18:22 am »
No worries, i can highly recommend a place if you don't have a source for your woodwear already - they're up near Bendigo but it's top quality! alternatively i can supply you pre-assembled dipped and painted...

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 03:56:44 am »
I was thinking of going through Redpaths but I am open to suggestions. PM me if you would prefer to keep it off list. I would prefer to assemble & paint my own woodware at the moment. Part of the fun as I see it :)
Paul

Offline malachii

• New Bee
    • Bluegum Gold
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 12:05:23 am »
G'day Ozbuzz,

I'm going through Bendigo next week and I'm after some woodenware - could you put up the name of the place?

malachii

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2011, 08:33:03 pm »
Malachii, just sent you a PM!

I was inspecting a hive last Thursday in Melbournes North Western Suburbs... plenty of drone brood - some drones already hatched... i suspect swarms will probably be starting sometime in the next few weeks if it stays warm

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2011, 11:59:46 am »
I've got a number of drones already, had them for a couple of weeks, guess I better keep a close eye on them.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2011, 11:39:54 pm »
Has anybody seen any queen cells/swarms yet? Last year i was already getting some swarm calls at this time of year and my hives had drones early august...

Offline Grieth

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2011, 07:56:22 am »
Checked my hive today.  Going gangbusters, lots of big hairy drones, but no queen cells. Overflowing with bees despite having two deeps and two ideals.

My bait hive box  (single deep with lure) had half a dozen visitors today checking it out.  They were not mine as I have Italians and these girls were black/grey.  I Guess someone nearby has a colony getting ready to swarm in melbourne eastern suburbs.

Swarms will be very soon - check your hives now.
"The time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things:
Of shoes and ships - and sealing wax - of cabbages and kings”
Lewis Carroll

Offline gregted

• House Bee
  • I used to be indicisive, but I'm not so sure now..
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2011, 07:01:19 pm »
I found out the hard way that swarms have started already despite it still being cold here in Toowoomba.

Went to split my one hive yesterday and it looks like they have swarmed and i may have a virgin queen.

No eggs or larvae and only a few capped brood.

Maybe someone else will donate a swarm, like I did. Lol

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2011, 01:26:58 am »
One of my 2 hives seemed to swarm yesterday, I got a call from my wife about midday to say there were bees everywhere and a big cluster 30ft up a tree. One hour later when I got home there was a beard over the front of one hive, everyone was fanning madly and the girls were busy marching in, so buggered if I know what's going on. Anyone had their bees re-hive themselves?

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2011, 03:44:25 am »
Well, both hives swarmed this week, I didn't have enough hardware to split the first one so they swarmed while I watched. I split the second one but to no avail, it delayed them a couple of days and then they swarmed.

Offline Grieth

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2011, 06:01:27 am »
Caught a huge swarm over the weekend at Parkdale.  Swarms are definitely happening in Melbourne now. :shock:
"The time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things:
Of shoes and ships - and sealing wax - of cabbages and kings”
Lewis Carroll

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2011, 09:09:13 am »
Bought time. I havent had a call for a swarm yet...last year i had 10+ by now...very cold and wintery here still.

I get about 1 call a week from people who watched swarms move into their roof last year...i dont do anything really complicated (pulling roofs apart) or up too high.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2011, 09:21:38 pm »
Yeah, swarms have started with a vengeance! four calls on Saturday! three on Sunday! I think it's going to be a crazy season!

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2011, 12:51:48 pm »
I've had one swarm call in 3 years.

Lone

Queensland - beautiful one day, perfect the next..

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2011, 03:38:53 am »
Caught my second one today. :)

Offline Harpo

• House Bee
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2011, 07:25:45 am »
That would be a great help! I'm in Melbournes Northern Suburbs and I haven't even seen a drone cell yet!
I'm in the North as well, Epping to be precise. I'll be in the market for my first bees in the next 4 to 5 weeks (or whenever) if you come across a swarm that you want to sell let me know. I can pay with cash, home brew (or store bought) or electrical work (I'm an electrician by trade)  :-D
Paul.

ROAD TRIP TO KANDOS AND BACK MAYBE - BEES FOR ELECTRICAL WORK ON DUMP ( CASTLE ) BEING RENO-D  ;)

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2011, 12:51:11 am »
ROAD TRIP TO KANDOS AND BACK MAYBE - BEES FOR ELECTRICAL WORK ON DUMP ( CASTLE ) BEING RENO-D  ;)
If you were a bit closer it would be no problem  :-D
I am a bit flat out with work on my own castle (dump) for the rest of the year to do any more extended trips  :'(
Paul.

Offline gumrosin

• New Bee
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2011, 03:32:12 am »
swarm, I am afraid them.

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2011, 05:46:45 am »
swarm, I am afraid them.
Why? Reputedly they're at their easiest to handle when they've first swarmed, a belly full of honey and no home they need to defend.

anything