Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Triangle escape boards  (Read 3830 times)

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
Triangle escape boards
« on: June 26, 2008, 08:54:07 pm »
So, I plan to harvest on Saturday, so I put on my triangle escape boards, to give the bees time to leave. I decided to give them a check, and found the supers nearly deserted...except for about two hundred drones! They didn't seem to be able to (or want to) go out through the slots in the escape board. So I went through and shook them off outside the hive. Does anyone else have this problem? I found about 5 workers in there, that's it. Looks like the boards work really well, except for the drones.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Triangle escape boards
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 10:28:32 pm »
So, I plan to harvest on Saturday, so I put on my triangle escape boards, to give the bees time to leave. I decided to give them a check, and found the supers nearly deserted...except for about two hundred drones! They didn't seem to be able to (or want to) go out through the slots in the escape board. So I went through and shook them off outside the hive. Does anyone else have this problem? I found about 5 workers in there, that's it. Looks like the boards work really well, except for the drones.

I just purchased one of those triangle escape boards and was wondering how well they worked. It sounds good, except for those drones. I Haven't had the luck to use one yet. (no honey to extract) Have fun on Saturday.

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 01:51:48 am »
I've been thinking about making some for myself.  Are the access points too small for drones or screen and board too close?  Do you know what the measurements are?  Who did you get them from?
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 12:25:31 pm »
For some plans go to;
www.dave-cushman.net/Bee/newhome.html

Look for Quebec Triangle escape & double Quebec escape

He shows 9mm gaps = 5/16 in. or the thickness of a round pencil loosely fitted.

Lots of Bee info. on his site well worth checking outs, lots of ideas etc.

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 02:12:51 pm »
Drone are not the brightest bees.  I usually harvest in the Fall, and drone population is decreased then, so I never had much of a problem with them.   Drones are very light sensitive, so if you but an escape board on top with either shims or a vent box,  I bet the light would coax them out.  In fact, come to think of it, I use a night light on top of an escape board to expedite clearing of bees from stacks of supers.  One night and they are empty,  perhaps that is why I never noticed the drones lingering behind. :roll:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 10:14:05 pm »
I've been thinking about making some for myself.  Are the access points too small for drones or screen and board too close?  Do you know what the measurements are?  Who did you get them from?

Honestly, I think they can fit. It looked like they just didn't want to. I watched them try, but when it narrowed down, I guess it was beneath them to squeeze out.

I guess it doesn't really matter...they don't sting, so they're easy to brush off, and since they won't feed themselves, they aren't going to start ripping open caps when they get hungry.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

anything