Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: staining instead of painting  (Read 6638 times)

Offline filmmlif

• House Bee
staining instead of painting
« on: December 28, 2004, 11:15:32 pm »
i want to stain my deeps instead of painting (i want them to stand out less). does anyone have a suggestion what to use? i was told the girls don't like certain staind/varnishes. what have beedn used that work?
thanx.

Offline tejas

• House Bee
    • http://www.A-1gutters.com
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 12:15:05 am »
I used no stain just exterior polyurethane on my hive and it worked and looks great. Just apply one coat; after drying sand then apply two more coats.

Offline filmmlif

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 02:11:36 am »
thnx for the tip.
do u think it lasts as long as paint?
do u buy 5 gallon cans of it?
tom

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 08:42:50 am »
Stain unlike many paints soaks into the wood fibers so they tend to fade over time rather than peel as paint. When they have faded to a degree your no longer happy with them just a very light cleaning with mild soap and water and your ready for another coat.
I buy mine in the gallon can at Lowe's, It can be mixed to a color from one of their charts then darkened to a shade more excepiable to you. I think the stand out less statement you made meens camofluged to an extent? Ask the person mixing the stain if they can do a match from a picture of a color. Once you get the color you like get the mix ration sheet and store it for future mixing ratios of new cans of stain.
By the way I am not trying to make my own hives less noticable so I buy the cheap miss mixed oops stuff. Just bought 3 gallons of Olyimpic at $5.00 from Lowe's and got $3.00 back per gallon rebate. Not a bad price for $24.00 exterior stain.
 :D Al

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2004, 11:52:00 am »
Al made a good point - something for everyone to remember or ponder.

Looking for mix-up colors. I don't feel there is any reason (unless you're just extremely particular) to buy paint or stain "brand new & perfect". You can get someone's mess up for WAY less. At the hardware store here in my town, I've only found 1 gallon cans. But if I needed more than 1 gallon, there's no reason why I couldn't just mix up several cans to get one final color.

Beth

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2004, 01:35:35 pm »
one thing to remember when staining your hive vs painting , the darker the color the hotter the temp will be in the hive thats why they say dark colors up north and lighter colors down south and since you live in texas it get kinda hot there, just my thought's.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline buzzybody

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2004, 01:36:42 pm »
Hopefully it won't come out tie dyed. :lol:
B.A.A

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2004, 07:32:10 pm »
I don't know..... that might look kinda cool. You know those old "hippie" buses? Imagine doing a hive like that! LOL Personally I'd enjoy making a "statement" with my hives, but when I've built them, I just didn't have the extra money to work with.

Beth :)
Just an old hippie at heart!

Offline tejas

• House Bee
    • http://www.A-1gutters.com
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2004, 09:29:04 pm »
Quote from: filmmlif
thnx for the tip.
do u think it lasts as long as paint?
do u buy 5 gallon cans of it?
tom

The hive I put out last April still looks the same as it did then. I assume it will last a long time. I just bought a quart and it was plenty to cove entire hive including two deeps and two shallow supers.

Offline Jay

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2004, 02:36:54 pm »
The stains and urethanes that are being made today all contain u.v. blockers so they should last just as long as a good paint job!
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2005, 10:55:56 am »
Looked at a 5 gallon pail of exterior house stain by Berh at Home Depot (YA I KNOW BOYCOTT) and it was nearly full I guesstamated at least 4 gallons left. It was listed as Alantic Blue but looked a bit to dark. The cost was $15.00. This is $75.00 a gallon stuff normally.
No I didn't buy it. I went there only to see if they had a repair kit to fix a Delta single lever faucet. Since they didn't have the parts either the boycott is still in effect.
 :D  Al