Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feeders For The TBH  (Read 3192 times)

Offline Beesilly

• New Bee
    • Dragon Bees
Feeders For The TBH
« on: February 03, 2008, 11:14:58 pm »
Hello,
I was just wondering on what type of feeder to use for a TBH. I like this idea, to cut a slit on the bottom of the follower and stick a boardman feeder in.Its easy to fill up, and you disturb the bees less. What do you TBH keepers use to feed your bees?

Also I was wondering... is there a diffrence b/w a boardman feeder and entrence feeder?
Thank you!
Beesilly

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Feeders For The TBH
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 07:39:28 am »
My long medium will take a medium frame feeder.  My KTBH I've never made a feeder.  I have made a 1/4" gap between frames and put a jar on top with a box and a lid over that so it doesn't rain in, but only when the weather was too cold for a package to forage.  Otherwise I haven't fed them.  Dry sugar on the bottom (if it's not screened) would also work.  You could also build a frame feeder.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline watercarving

• House Bee
    • John Call Designs
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 08:51:57 pm »
I was under the assumption that these frame feeders only allowed bees in from the top. This is what I wanted to use in my medium TTBH hives but didn't think I could. Do they have side entrances?
--------------
www.johncall.com - adventures in woodcarving and country life.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 09:51:36 pm »
>I was under the assumption that these frame feeders only allowed bees in from the top.

The ones you buy.  Yes.

> This is what I wanted to use in my medium TTBH hives but didn't think I could.

If you have a recessed frame rest (I'd do 3/4") then there is a bee space between the lid and the frames.  If you leave a gap between the last bar and the frame feeder they will easily get into the frame feeder.  If you make your own frame feeder (such as for a KTBH) then you can put the entrance on the side.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline watercarving

• House Bee
    • John Call Designs
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 09:08:34 am »
I've never seen one but I'll look around and see if I can find some plans.
--------------

Offline watercarving

• House Bee
    • John Call Designs
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 08:37:29 pm »
Could I take a regular frame feeder and drill some holes in the side towards the top? Maybe put some screen down in it for them to crawl on?
--------------

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 08:45:48 pm »
>Could I take a regular frame feeder and drill some holes in the side towards the top? Maybe put some screen down in it for them to crawl on?

You can.  But you won't need to, I don't think.  Just leave a gap between the feeder and the bar next to it for them to get up to it.
-------------------

Offline ooptec

• House Bee
    • Beginners foray into TBH's in Canada
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 05:29:22 pm »
I use the frame feeders and just put a couple on inboard bottom from entrance. Close to last started comb. Works like a charm. Anything you can get inside your TBH as long as they can't drown in it is OK. Outside you have to worry about robbing.

They were really cheap I think.

cheers

peter