Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beehive in a jar  (Read 5109 times)

Offline beecanbee

• House Bee
Beehive in a jar
« on: November 09, 2009, 12:56:28 am »

Bee hive in a jar – well, not quite a complete beehive – but worth the look.

http://fizzyenergy.com/bees-hive-jar/
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."  Duncan Vandiver

A boy can do half the work of a man, but two boys do less, and three boys get nothing done at all. :)

(False) Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.  - Samuel Johnson

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
Re: Beehive in a jar
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 02:39:05 am »
Nice, that is something I've heard about and wanted to try this year, but I've been too beezy this year to do much extra with my hives. I'm definately  planning on doing this next year. I run 8 frame deep boxes with migratory covers. I am planning on making 8 jars in a cover and then cover that with an empty box with another cover, to keep the sun out of the jars. I'm going to try to plan it so that they fill the jars with starthistle comb honey, what a treat that will bee!

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 03:29:26 am »

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 07:21:29 am »
That has been around a while. Seems like it comes up once or twice a year.

Here is the original discussion -> http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,11240.0.html
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 08:29:36 am »
I actually built a super that will hold 12 wide mouth jars for this purpose. I put it on a hive spring but I got tired of waiting on them to draw comb and I removed it. I plan to try it again next spring. This time I will remove the excluder until they start drawing the wax. In addition, I will "seed" the jars with a little bit of wax in the bottom (top when inverted in the hive).

If you can get it to work, it should be fun to watch and fetch a good price.

Good Luck,

Steve   
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 02:51:39 pm »
That has been around a while. Seems like it comes up once or twice a year.

Here is the original discussion -> http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,11240.0.html

It was both as cool and pointless then as it is now.

Cool pics, but for me that's where it ends.

Offline USC Beeman in TN

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 09:59:51 pm »
Will try it this year.  First time I have seen one.  Will be a great item to have when selling honey at the farmer's market.
De Colores,
Ken

anything