Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Marathon Cut-outs  (Read 2409 times)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Marathon Cut-outs
« on: June 12, 2009, 01:37:30 pm »
Yesterday I had a marathon day doing cut-outs.  The one client contacted me last fall about doing a cut-out.  There were 2 problems, I felt it was too late in the season for there to be a reasonable chance for the bees to recover in time and survive the winter, and they were 5 hours away :shock:  So I advised her to consider waiting until spring and try to find someone closer.   We continued to communicate as she looked/talked to other beekeepers and then this spring she asked me if I was still interested.  I told her if she was willing to pay the travel, I'd do it.  Dring the process of getting pictures and setting up a date, her caretaker informed me she had another client who also had bees they wanted to have removed.   So the plan was made to do them both in one trip.  I was going to drive down and remove one the first day and remove the second and drive home the next.

Well yesterday I left at 5AM  and arrived at the first place around 10:30AM.  Of course it rained most of the way down and was cloud with mist/sprinkles most of the morning. The caretaker had set up the pump jacks and ladders so I got right to work hoping to beat a major rain storm.

Mice had gotten into them over the winter and ate some of the new comb that had honey on the ends.  It had recently swarmed but the new queen was laying great.  So ended up with a nice young feral queen.  Finished about 3PM and decided to swing by the 2nd place and get a better idea of where the bees where actually residing.

Turns out they weren't in the wall as was suspected, but in the soffit of the porch.   Once Igot them open,  I figured I would continue as these bees were suppose to be meaner and the weather outlook for the next day wasn't good.  So worked right up to dark using a flashlight.  Had a few down pours and heavy fog set in as well, but there was no turning back.  Actually both colonies where as gentle as could be.  I only got stung twice (one thru a Nitrile glove) and both where my fault (pinched the bee).

This one had also swarmed and the new queen was also laying quite nicely.

Left there around 8PM and drove a good portion of the time in a major downpour and got home about 1AM.  Just set the hives out in the yard and let them loose.

Although the weather wasn't too cooperative, I don't think I could have asked for it to go much better.  I found and marked both queens and both are at least 2nd generation survivor.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Marathon Cut-outs
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 01:50:17 pm »
Nice job Rob. Nice looking bee vac as well! I have some cut outs to do next week. I am not looking forward to them as the temperatures here are 95+F with nearly 100% humidity.

Steve 
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 02:16:20 pm »
Awesome!!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 02:19:17 pm »
Rob, all I can say is, you da man! All that driving, removing two huge colonies, great job man, and great pictures. Glad everything worked out so well, two successful removals and two queens!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 04:15:25 pm »
 X:X   X:X   X:X
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 04:40:45 pm »
Nice job on the cut outs, it is nice when the home owners will furnish and set up ladders and scaffolds, at least that is something you don't have to pack around.

Five hour drive one way, she must be a good friend for sure, what is that 250 miles?

Well at least you are two hives richer.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 09:25:02 pm »
Congratulations on your cut outs Robo

Johnny