Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Deltona swarm 2/24/2011  (Read 3549 times)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Deltona swarm 2/24/2011
« on: March 24, 2011, 04:51:01 pm »
We were called out today for a swarm clustered on some newly laid sod. The owner informed us that yesterday they had been in his neighbor's small tree and were sprayed.

Although Peggy thinks that she saw the queen enter the box we're still not positive. I went through the box pretty well and didn't see her but she could have gotten past me.

We're both really hoping to save these bees. They are very gentle even after going through so much.

Deltona swarm 3-24-2011_0001.wmv

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dean0

• House Bee
    • My photovoltaic Website
Re: Deltona swarm 2/24/2011
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 08:42:25 pm »
Scott, If you recall, I used to have some bees in Deltona that seemed to have a preference for load music and preferred living in a speaker box rather than a hive body. Wondering if they could be the same ones... :-\

Too bad they got sprayed but I hope they pull through.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 10:58:34 pm »
It is a shame they were sprayed.   What kind of spray did they use?   Were there many dead bees around or were they all just drunk?   Great video.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 11:04:03 pm »
I'm not sure what they sprayed but suspect hornet spray. I walked across the street to see where they came from and found a 2' circle of dead bees. It was a sobering experience to paw through the mess looking for a dead queen...which I did not find.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 11:13:21 pm »
Did you leave your card at the house with all those dead bees?   Such a shame.   Let us know if that hive makes it.

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 03:10:54 am »
Hope they survive.

Last year I received a call after they sprayed the swarm. I found the queen and a small cluster of bees with her. They did survive.
I have a removal scheduled for this Sunday if it does not rain. Sprayed once last year, didn't die, so they sprayed again a few days ago. Didn't die.
Finally decided to call a beekeeper to remove them. ARGH!!!!

Keep us updated and also if the queen is really in there.  :)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 07:15:32 am »
Schawee and I had a really nice lady call 911 because she really wanted to save a swarm on her street that moved from one spot to a cypress tree branch. We were able to get those but our last stop was one just like you're fooling with on this video & they were queenless (after being sprayed).

We were able to get about about seven hundred bees (best guess) and combined them with a smaller swarm, so all is good now.

Good job picking up the pieces with this one Scott & gently educating the guy about the importance of bees and not to spray next time.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 09:17:27 am »
Sometimes you just want to smack some people.  It's amazing how many people spray first and THEN ask for someone to clean up their mess.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 02:35:19 am »
 That is so sad, and I wonder how the bees can recover from that ordeal.

I wish you luck with these bees and I will say a prayer for them. Let us know how they do, I want to know.

You guys are becoming quite the bee whisperers joining the ranks of JP & Schawee scooping up bees with your hands. I admire you for being able to do this. I still wear my full suit when around my bees.

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 08:13:38 am »
One thing I love about this video: Scott and Peggy teach the man off camera; then, the man off camera teaches what he's learned to someone out of earshot. It's a wonderful example of how education works.

Other things I love about this video: compassion. neighborliness. gentleness.

Liz
"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 09:40:22 pm »
Hey Scott, how are these bees looking.   I am still loosing sleep worrying over them.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 01:16:36 pm »
Good news folks! I went through them yesterday and only found 1 dead bee on the bottom board. They had already drawn 4 full foundationless frames and the queen had two frames of eggs and very young larvae. It looks like they'll pull through just fine :)

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 05:59:44 pm »
 :piano: :piano: GOOD JOB ON SAVING THEM!! :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant:

That queen is glad to have a nice clean place to start over in and is trying to show her appreciation!
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 01:24:43 pm »
Nice save my friend

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 09:07:46 pm »
 X:X

Offline annette