Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Caught my first swarm ever  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Bigfoot

• New Bee
Caught my first swarm ever
« on: May 07, 2011, 10:04:56 pm »
I was fortunate to catch my first swarm ever right in my front yard today, but I do have one question. I caught the swarm in my top bar NUC it has nine bars that have been waxed, but whats the best way to feed them, and how long should I keep them in the NUC before I put them in my top bar hive. I moved them tonight to the location where I'm going to set the hive up I just need to know the best way to feed them. For what it's worth an entrance feeder wont work, there's not enough room for one... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
Re: Caught my first swarm ever
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 10:23:42 pm »
wltwine,get a quart or gallon{ if it fits} zip-lock bag with sugarwater and place it on the bottom of the nuc and make a slit about an inch long on the top of the bag.ill let them build in the nuc and when they build comb on most of the bars then place them in your hive.    ...schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 11:06:37 pm »
I'm 200 miles west of you. Here the flow is so heavy I am not feeding at all. I have a little honey on one bait station, but there hasn't been a bee on it in 2 weeks. Schawee has the right way, if they will take it. Don't be surprised if they ignore it.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline GaryMinckler

• House Bee
    • Honeybees and Beekeeping
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 03:52:31 am »
Ive done really well with swarms not feeding at all.

anything