Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First Honey From My Top Bar  (Read 4289 times)

Offline CAHighwind

• New Bee
First Honey From My Top Bar
« on: July 11, 2010, 11:17:48 pm »
I hived these bees from a package in mid-April.  Now they have all the bars in the top bar hive drawn out and either packed with capped honey or brood/eggs.  Wanting to give them more room, I pulled one comb of the capped honey yesterday for ye olde crush and strain.  From that, I got 16 ounces of lemonade yellow, very tasty honey.  They are out here on acres and acres of wildflowers.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

No one in real life here appreciates my enthusiasm for this so I reckoned I would show y'all.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
Re: First Honey From My Top Bar
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 11:56:21 pm »
That's beautiful! Isn't that first honey a wonderful experience?
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 08:19:10 pm »
We certainly share your enthusiasm. It looks quite tasty! Thanks for taking the time to share with us!

Looking at your profile pic,are you a ghostbuster?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 08:22:14 pm »
How long did you feed your top bar bees?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 09:38:42 pm »
Wow, that got my mouth to waterin'! Bring on the biscuits!!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 10:06:25 pm »
Yum!!

Offline CAHighwind

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 11:32:04 pm »
In fact, I did make biscuits yesterday to eat it on!

I fed these guys for 3 weeks after installing them, stopped feeding in the beginning of May.  By then they were going great guns, and my hives have all put on a ton of honey weight since then.  I kept adding more bars to the hive every week until it was all filled out.  This bar had been drone comb, and had been back filled with honey the last few weeks.

As for my pic... yeah, that's me as a Ghostbuster. I reckon I'm a collector of weird hobbies.

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 07:27:38 pm »
Nice looking honey...it looks like mine did last summer, really light and sweet from wild flowers and knapweed.  Next thing you know, you will have enough extra to get into another "wierd" hobby...Meadmaking (honey wine).  That was my progression of "wierd" bee hobbies  :roll:.  Now I have a basement utility room full of cases of the stuff (it's aging)...
-Mike

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 07:31:00 pm »
So you are a Ghostbuster in your spare time.   Just where do you find a good working Proton Pack now days?

Offline CAHighwind

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 07:08:29 pm »
One has to build their own proton pack these days, unless you wish to spend a pretty penny, I built mine...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Back to bees, though...
In my other hives, when I've occasionally had to take out honey filled burr comb, it's all been light like this.  I hope to get more maybe this year.  As for mead making, I'm already very interested in giving it a shot when I have ample supplies of honey going on!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 02:13:59 pm »

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 09:06:32 pm »
That was pretty good!