Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings/Tell us about yourself  (Read 1981 times)

Offline skatesailor

• House Bee
Greetings/Tell us about yourself
« on: December 10, 2010, 09:44:28 pm »
Hi, I've been a beekeeper for about 50 yrs. Basically I lived by ABC/XYZ of Beekeeping but its great to read other people's take on beekeeping. I live on a small farm in Millbrook, NY and currently have 4 hives. Since I am now retired I plan to expand the number of hives. I have a 12 yr old grandson who is very interested and has helped me hive swarms and take honey off. This is a great site.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Greetings/Tell us about yourself
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 10:23:51 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster forums skatesailor!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 11:08:17 pm »
50 yrs with the bees...I bet you've got some really good stories to tell...I for one can't wait to hear them!

Welcome

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 09:44:37 am »
ABC-XYZ of beekeeping? I though you said you were only keeping bees for 50 years.  :-D

Welcome to the forum.

Hope you enjoy.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 09:58:59 am »
Welcome to the forum "neighbor".   I live near the Ashokan Reservoir, but work in Poughkeepsie. 
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline skatesailor

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 08:05:18 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome. I've been lurking here for quite some time and have found some very interesting topics. I've gone up and down in the number of hives I keep.I'll try to add some of my experiences as time goes by. I'm especially interested in trapping out of houses since I now turn down a lot of these because of a bad experience in cutting a hive out. We finally found the hive about 15 ft from where they were going in. Quite a cutout.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 11:21:22 am »
Welcome, skatesailor. You're right about the excitement cutouts. It can sometimes be compared to climbing Mt. Everest. You don't know what's coming next.
THAT'S WHY I LOVE IT.

If you haven't found it yet, I've written a few hints about trapouts here on the forum. They can be fun, too. Especially when you don't get back to it in time and that little box 18 feet in the air weighs 75 lb. and the only access is a flimsy ladder.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

anything