• House Bee
My TBH
« on: June 14, 2009, 02:15:01 am »

My first TBH

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
Re: My TBH
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 09:50:18 am »
Very nice, I just got some this year myself, I am very excited to see how it goes with them.
I populated two the other day that just went right at it, in and out foraging from the get go.
Usually my other hives have taken a day or so to get oriented but these bees were different so here is hoping they do well in the tbh.
It looks like you have a nice secluded spot for your bees.
Best of luck!

Offline dragonfly

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 01:33:25 pm »
That looks good trapperBob. :) What dimensions did you use?

Offline trapperbob

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 04:06:06 pm »
I used the barefoot beekeepers design and built a telescoping style top. I built two others out of plywood mostly because I had it laying around but think I will go back to 1x12 material.The plywood even with paint seems to have warped some from moister in the air. They are still useable but my first one being of solid wood has not warped at all. I will however keep making the beveled bars I made for the last two there a little more work but I like them much better than the ones I made for the one you see. They were 1x material cut to size and starter strips inserted they worked fine but I like how the beveled ones look better at least in my own mind. The design is at  the barefoot beekeepers web site . The nice thing is you can tweek this design to fit you.

Offline GaryMinckler

• House Bee
    • Honeybees and Beekeeping
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 02:32:16 pm »
I followed those plans too, but went with a telescoping top too.

Offline trapperbob

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 02:04:54 pm »
We have a lot of wind here in Nebraska not much to stop it around here once it gets going so I thought the telescoping top would be better and I like the way it looks.

Offline GaryMinckler

• House Bee
    • Honeybees and Beekeeping
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 01:42:47 am »
I just put a swarm in mine a week ago and they're drawing comb like crazy!!  I have a viewing window in mine and that is cool too.   :-D

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 10:58:36 am »
That's wonderful, Gary!! It must be rewarding to get a "free" colony and then watch them fly right into action. I hope your wonderful luck continues :)
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson