Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive location question  (Read 2788 times)

Offline labradorfarms

• House Bee
Hive location question
« on: December 29, 2013, 12:26:30 pm »
Ok im getting things ready for my 2 new hives.... I want to put 2 treated 4x4 post in the ground with quickcreate and sit my hives on box platforms built on the post . My question is how high can I go off the ground? Im thinking about 15 inchs. I even thought about20 inchs...

Also how far apart should I put my hives?
Other comments welcome....... 

Moots

Re: Hive location question
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 01:32:49 pm »
As a guy who was working through all these same questions last year at this time...

Here's my 2 cents...
I'd avoid making anything permanent until you get some experience. I built my hive stand frame out of 2x8x10's and placed that atop 1 1/2 cinder blocks on each end.   Going into next Spring, I think I'll change both it's height and location.

As for how far apart...some folks butt their hives together, I like to leave room to fit my hive tool comfortable between them. This allows me to work a hive from either side, without being restricted by another.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 12:43:42 pm by Moots »

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 10:24:50 pm »
It depends some to the room you have for bee yard.  I like mine on a 8X8X16 concrete block with a 2X4 across the bottom board to set on the block.  I also like the hives far enough apart so I can put a super on the floor and not bother the hive next to it.    OK I did have my hives on a concrete slab with a roof next to my house.  Now I have them on a 10 X 30 deck about a 100 yards away.  It has a roof and a wall on the north side.  The deck is just lower the the tail gate of my truck.  Easy load and unloading of supers.  There was a house trailer there and the people sold the trailer and moved, so the deck was free.  Good luck

Joe

Offline matthewstiles

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 01:08:14 pm »
I like mine on a 8X8X16 concrete block with a 2X4 across the bottom board to set on the block.

I did the same, I'm going to change over to 4x4's. I don't like the amount of sag the 2x4's have developed.

Offline beeman2009

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 01:39:09 pm »
I like mine on a 8X8X16 concrete block with a 2X4 across the bottom board to set on the block.

I did the same, I'm going to change over to 4x4's. I don't like the amount of sag the 2x4's have developed.

I did the same thing. I found that adding another block in the middle of the run prevented any sag. As to distance apart, that's your call anything will work. I did find that when then hives get closer together, it seemed helpful to make the fronts of the hive look different like painting each landing board a different color. I was told it helped to prevent drifting. As to which way to face them, east, southeast if possible & provide some sort of wind break to protect them.
All things may be lawful, but not all things are advantageous.

Beeman2009

anything