Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Harvesting honey  (Read 1369 times)

Offline gdog

• House Bee
Harvesting honey
« on: July 09, 2013, 12:09:58 am »
I harvested a medium super of honey today and I have three hives where the comb is full of honey but not yet capped. Can anyone tell me how long it will take for them to cap the honey?

Thanks.

Offline Old Blue

• House Bee
Re: Harvesting honey
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 03:30:30 am »
I can not tell you how long it will take to cap the honey.  I can only tell you that it will be longer than you would like it to be or longer than you think it will be  :-D

Old Blue
Where my stupid bees seem to never cap honey, just to piss me off.  In................
Kali-bone-ya

Warning - 3 beer post

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 04:09:09 am »
ya, no one will be able to tell you when they will cap it...the inspector bee wobbles around, sticks his butt and head into it, sees what sort of nose it has and how well it sticks and decides by his own professionalism..... seriously it depends on humidity, climate, how well they do the crazy things they do and other things.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 10:46:22 am »
>Can anyone tell me how long it will take for them to cap the honey?

No... no one can.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 01:30:17 pm »
Take some of it out and put it in the hive that capped theirs and put the empties in there place. May be more bees in the hive that capped to work the nectar.

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 10:12:51 pm »
actually you 'can get a refractometerand check it's moisture content and see 'about' when they will start capping it I guess.

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 10:16:52 pm »
if you are in a slack and they decide they need it elsewhere they may not cap it. they may put the "move" on it.  :? ;) ;) d2