Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees By The Bay  (Read 4514 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Bees By The Bay
« on: April 29, 2008, 09:13:33 am »
This was supposed to be a simple job. ;) The idea was that the bees were in the vinyl soffit, and I could sit on the corrugated aluminum roof, undo the vinyl soffit sections and whalla, remove the bees, hahahahaahahaahaahaaha!

I could tell right off they were not in the soffit, and that they were in between the floor joists. Decided to go in through the floor since I was getting readings in two different sections.

Not a lot of comb but a lot of bees.

These bees were so nice, the nicest in fact, couldn't make them sting me! In fact, at one point in the removal process, I decided to remove my veil. At one point I was laying on my back with my head dipped between the floor joists trying to spot the queen, and the bees paid no mind to me, did not smell even a hint of bananas the entire time. I wish they were all like this!!

The queen did a disappearing act betwen the end cap and the exterior batting, so I had no choice but to set the hive up within 8" of where I knew she was, in hopes she would come out and enter.

I left the job and went and did another job in Pearl River, and when finished came back to Bay St. Louis.

Still had a bunch of bees clustered near the end cap, but the queen had moved out and was in the cluster amongst them!

I reached in and proved this by catching her in a handful of bees. Was it nice seeing her when I opened my hand onto the top cover! It was a wonderful ending to a long day.

I included some nice pictures of the bay from the upper porch top, of course with bee pics as well.

Pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/April282008

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Bees By The Bay
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 02:10:33 pm »
Heavenly photos. Love the bay. I just love being near water, having grown up in a place called Brighton Beach in Brooklyn, New York. We lived a block from the ocean and spent every single day in the summer on the beach. Spent my whole youth walking on that boardwalk from Brighton to Coney Island where we would stop and ride the rides.

I just love also hearing how you catch or figure out where those queens are. You are truly an expert on this.

Thanks JP for sharing
Annette

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 05:32:16 pm »
Annette, I appreciate the accolades, but I'm no expert, in fact I have a lot to learn about bees and removals. I do however, as you know do lots of removals and catch lots of swarms. Scott Derrick, Brendhan, Dallas, Michael Bush, Iddee, from Beesource, are all people I confide in and we talk about removals and catching swarms. I also have a few local people I confide in. It helps us sharpen our skills.

My wife is from Long Beach, Long Island, New York. She lived on the beach for many yrs. She just loves it when we hit the beach, any beach.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Kimbrell

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 09:44:06 pm »
I love seeing the pictures from all your cutouts.  These bees do look calm.  Nobody seems to be flying around as much as you'd expect.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 11:58:39 pm »
Annette, I appreciate the accolades, but I'm no expert, in fact I have a lot to learn about bees and removals. I do however, as you know do lots of removals and catch lots of swarms. Scott Derrick, Brendhan, Dallas, Michael Bush, Iddee, from Beesource, are all people I confide in and we talk about removals and catching swarms. I also have a few local people I confide in. It helps us sharpen our skills.

My wife is from Long Beach, Long Island, New York. She lived on the beach for many yrs. She just loves it when we hit the beach, any beach.

...JP

A Long Island girl and Cuban.  This gets more interesting all the time!!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 10:34:30 am »
Annette, OK, who is the Cuban?  Did I miss something here?

JP, holy smackadooderal!!!  You are just up to no good, now aren't you?  Taking off your veil.  You got the guts of a gutsy dude!!!   I love to hear your stories and I love to see your pictures.  Grabbing that bunch of bees getting the queen in the middle, now don't that just make ya day?  Thank you always so much for sharing your stuff.....beautiful and most wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 10:49:28 am »
Annette, OK, who is the Cuban?  Did I miss something here?

JP, holy smackadooderal!!!  You are just up to no good, now aren't you?  Taking off your veil.  You got the guts of a gutsy dude!!!   I love to hear your stories and I love to see your pictures.  Grabbing that bunch of bees getting the queen in the middle, now don't that just make ya day?  Thank you always so much for sharing your stuff.....beautiful and most wonderful day, Cindi

The cuban/long islander is my wife Cindi. I call her my wifey poo peta, short for la wifey poo peta. I just made it up one day, really can't explain it. She's def my wifey poo peta though.

Cindi, I had this weird dream last nite, you will not believe it. My wife and I were on some beach somewhere and of all people your husband was in the dream and something about scallops. Some kinda way I po'ed him and he flings these scallops onto the bleach and I remember talking to you about these scallops.

You say, I don't know why he threw the scallops down onto the beach but they're top quality scallops. So I gathered them up and washed them off, they were fresh and in the shell.

There were only like 5 of them, but the wife and I really enjoyed them! Tell him thank you for me! Loved the scallops!

...JP

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 12:51:29 am »
JP, you know, dreams really are the wierdest things, and just a simple thought during the day can trigger the mind to go beserk in the night.  That is what happened to you, did you make it through the night OK?  Hee, hee.  No clue what may have triggered a thought about you po'ed my Husband, maybe he found out that you had Whoppo and Abigail and was gonna do them in with my green snips.  By the way, Frantz said that you had sent them up to him in a package, but somewhere in the transfer they had become pink.  I don't think that he wants them, by the way, so it is up to you to get them back.  Hee, hee.  In all seriousness, my Husband loves scallops and the thought of him throwing some high quality scallops onto the ground horrifies me, but I will tell him you and your Wife enjoyed them, he will wince.  Have the most beautiful and wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 12:58:29 am »
JP, you know, dreams really are the wierdest things, and just a simple thought during the day can trigger the mind to go beserk in the night.  That is what happened to you, did you make it through the night OK?  Hee, hee.  No clue what may have triggered a thought about you po'ed my Husband, maybe he found out that you had Whoppo and Abigail and was gonna do them in with my green snips.  By the way, Frantz said that you had sent them up to him in a package, but somewhere in the transfer they had become pink.  I don't think that he wants them, by the way, so it is up to you to get them back.  Hee, hee.  In all seriousness, my Husband loves scallops and the thought of him throwing some high quality scallops onto the ground horrifies me, but I will tell him you and your Wife enjoyed them, he will wince.  Have the most beautiful and wonderful day, Cindi

What's contradictory is that Frantz told me he specifally wanted the snips because they were pink, his favorite color! :-D

...JP

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 12:14:16 pm »
Note: Send JP bill for new keyboard as I read the first sentence in his post and now have keyboard covered in soda.  :-D

I don't think I got through the rest of the post but the pictures look nice.

Still laughing.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible