Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen Pick up  (Read 3132 times)

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Queen Pick up
« on: May 01, 2008, 11:17:24 am »
More questions. I found a queen in a recent cutoput just crawling along a 2x4 seam along where i just removed some comb. I didn't know how to pick her up. I let her crawl into a dust pan and placed her in hive. But i know that one was a lucky one. So do you just pick her up w/ fingers, w/o gloves? Do queens sting(I know they are able)? Thanx in advance. Techniques needed.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Queen Pick up
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 12:07:23 pm »
I just pick them up with my fingers, no gloves.  Same way I do in the queen marking video
http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/queen-marking/

For what it is worth, I've never been stung by a queen, even when pinching her legs to mark her.  But that's not to say it can't happen.

You can also carry a cheap queen catcher too, but I never have it handy when I need it.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 02:00:42 pm »
That same queen catcher, which I keep in my pocket all the time when doing inspections, went through the washer and dryer on its own (meaning it fell out of the pocket) and ended up in fine shape. Sturdy little thing.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 10:47:39 pm »
I keep a hair clip catcher in my pocket.  But you should practice catching drones until you're good at it.  That way if you don't have a catcher you can still pick her up.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesqueenrearing.htm#Queenmarking
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 11:10:50 pm »
last two i got were easy.  one was on a hunk of comb and the other i herded onto my hand and then into the box.  they don't seem to be to fussy as long as you are slow and gentle. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 12:07:22 pm »
Nudge her gently into a dust pan or a jar and then put her in the hive. Remember she can fly and when she does you will be surprised.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible