Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Echinops -- Globe Thistle, metallic blue  (Read 3077 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Echinops -- Globe Thistle, metallic blue
« on: November 24, 2007, 10:59:53 pm »
About 8 years ago I propogated some Echinops for my customers, some had requested them, and I grew them for them the next year.  I planted a couple of plants in my garden near the pump house for the pool.  It has never spread and never reseeded.  This year I am going to split this plant into a bunch of pieces and see what comes of it.  Actually, I am right now in the process of splitting some of the perennials, they are killers, they have such tough roots systems.  Need and axe for some, and man that is hard work.

I did not observe many bees on the Globe Thistle, but a few now and then.  It is in the family of thistle, and I know that they bees went nuts on the Sea Holly, that was an incredible sight to see.  This is a beautiful plant, enjoy the picture.  Have a great and fabulous day.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Re: Echinops -- Globe Thistle, metallic blue
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 04:26:24 pm »
They're nice plants, rather drought tolerant, but don't seem to be self-seeders like regular thistles.  They also resent being divided, they'll sulk and look like they're going to die, but they usually recover.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 10:56:48 pm »
Annn, oooooh, some words of wisdom here.  I wonder if in my area that dividing would be OK because of the moisture in the soil.  You have now set a challenge, I will try to divide and let you know next spring what came of it.  You are right about it not self-seeding as the thistle do, I don't believe the initial 3 plants that I set out there ever have multiplied.  But I should check and see.  I have so many perennials, sometimes I don't check on how things are growing.  Maybe there are seedlings, maybe not.  I think I will go and have a look tomorrow and see if I see any sign of young plants, anywhere near to the parent.  Do you know if this is a F1 hybrid?  I have no clue and am too lazy to google it right now.  Beautiful day, greatest of life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 11:28:26 pm »
It usually is just the straight species, unless you've got a fancy-dancy one  ;)