Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: killing ivy  (Read 7295 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
killing ivy
« on: November 25, 2007, 07:00:03 pm »
i have some english ivy.  it's always been here and i like it....but....it is starting to spread.  i have sprayed it in the past with roundup and crossbow.  that seemed to help keep it back.  i have also pulled, dug, ripped, etc.  is there anything that i can use that will knock it back a lot without killing all of it?????
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: killing ivy
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 10:59:01 pm »
Kathy, oooooh, that English Ivy, it is an invasive, but beautiful plant.  I know of nothing that would kill it or even keep it at bay, but I have never tried to rid any area of it (that is because I don't have any growing that I know of).  I see Ivy growing on trees in the forests everywhere, it is truly amazing how it can grow all the way up the trees, but honestly, I am glad I don't have it growing here.  Maybe Ann will be able to tell you how to keep it at bay.  She is pretty good about horticulture stuff.  Great day, great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 11:59:10 am »
Flame-thrower.  Fun too!  :-D

Army surplus store.  They also work on mulberry bushes and squirrels.(oops, did I say that  :-X)

(disclaimer: I don't own or ever have owned a flame thrower and do not condone the use of them on small rodents or any other type of creature small or large, except for comedic purposes.  No squirrels were harmed in the creation of this message, as much as I may dislike them.)
Rick

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 01:53:57 pm »
i have a good propane torch...maybe that will work.  have to be a little careful about the stuff growing up the house...............
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 02:40:45 pm »
Oh yeah, the flame thrower is a problem when the weeds are near flammable structures..... :roll:

And I don't recommend using any types of flame anywhere in Southern California. :'(
Rick

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 02:59:23 pm »
The problem with ivy is it's got a waxy coating that keeps the chemical killers at bay (good for the ivy, I guess!  :lol:).  Around here that ivy is horribly invasive, my neighbor planted it years ago down back and it's running wild down there.  Kathy, I know how much you like goats, maybe you should chain a few in that patch  :evil:

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 03:51:33 pm »
I have had more success w/ the types of herbicides that you drench the roots(rather than spray the leaves) and it keeps weeds at bay for up to 3 months type of herbicide. It worked on my ivy and now I am attempting to kill some bamboo. Not working as well. I need to be even more ruthless and persitant w/ bamboo. Should outlaw the stuff. I also like doing it in winter as the ivy is the only thing around usually.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 05:56:22 pm »
good point on winter treatment.   the ivy is the only thing still green, save a few blackberries.  do you remember what you used?  i'll start some research and see what i can find in the meantime.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 06:13:07 pm »
I use a herbicide that is specifically formulated for woody brush. Roundup works good on grasses and weeds but this woody brush killer works on poison ivy and any brush with a woody type stem or trunk. It is applied by spraying it on the leaves. In addition, if you paint it undiluted on a fresh tree wound or stump, it will kill the root. Adding a little dish soap to your herbicide will make it more effective. Soap helps it stick to the leaves.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline BenC

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 11:36:44 pm »
knocking it back without killing it, the only option I can think of is physical control.  Cut, till, weedwack, burn, whatever.  Want to eradicate it altogether then get some glyphosate (roundup or generic) and triclopyr (ortho brush-b-gone)and apply to the foliage when the plant is actively growing.  Mix according to labels but apply together.  By the way this is also good for poison ivy control ;)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 11:42:50 pm »
is the Ortho stuff the same as the Crossbow?  i have already mixed that with roundup and it did seem to help. 

Offline BenC

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 12:02:54 am »
It's been awhile but I'm pretty sure the active ingredient in crossbow is triclopyr.  A quick web search for the label should answer that one for you.  It may seem counter to one's thinking, but I've seen positive results, as far as chem uptake is concerned, by adding just a little nitrogen (urea) or a small amount of something like tween 20 (or even palmolive) to the mix.  The important thing to know about roundup or crossbow is that they work best when the plant is translocating to the roots, rather than from them.  Early spring applications can fail because the plants are not pumping anything to the roots.  Same as mid summer during a drought.  But early summer or fall glyphosate and triclopyr can be very effective.  I've seen chems such as Roundup, Rely, and Crossbow do absolutely nothing in the early spring, but later in the year be completely effective.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 01:11:34 am »
i do the blackberries with crossbow.  usually in Oct.  great stuff!!

Offline taipantoo

• House Bee
  • Me after six weeks of sun in Nome, Alaska
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 01:30:44 am »
You may be able to solarize it with a sheet of clear plastic.
A good sunny day should kill about anything.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 11:22:01 am »
I used an ortho product I got at Home Depot. Cant recall the exact name but its very common. It has "Vegetation Killer" in its name. Big brown bottle that you dilute a little bit. It kills almost all vegetation and you water your plants w/ it in a watering can and drench the roots. It also prevents weeds for 3 months accoreding to label.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 01:46:06 pm »
Oh yeah, the flame thrower is a problem when the weeds are near flammable structures..... :roll:

And I don't recommend using any types of flame anywhere in Southern California. :'(

Or anywhere else.  The developer on the housing project adjacent to me decided to use a propane torch on the weeds this past summer.  My son and I put out 2 grass fires and I told the developer the next time I was calling the fire department and letting them put out the fire plus telling them how the grass fires started.  End for propane torch for weed control.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything