Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey harvest results for 2009  (Read 18658 times)

Offline alflyguy

• House Bee
Re: Honey harvest results for 2009
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2009, 10:22:48 am »
I got 12 gallons from two hives. My other two were new this year and they have no surplus. I'm finished with harvesting this year because I'm doing splits this afternoon. All in all, for my second year, I'm very pleased.

Offline Karl Wisconsin

• New Bee
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2009, 10:52:30 pm »
S.E. Wisconsin- Starting to clean up in preparation of extracting in a few weeks. I only extract once as after September I am busy with apples through October. I know my harvest will be very light because the girls just have not been filling many supers. Most of my hives have 1 medium on and hoping thgose will be capped completely. Been very dry here as well as a cool spring. Lots of swarms this year though!!
Trying to age gracefully- don't think its working!!

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2009, 11:46:55 am »
Had a record spring with a nice batch of avacado honey, but so far the summer crop is slow. Which is unusual given that my populations and over all health is good.
Cheers,
Patrick
I love avacados!!! How does the honey taste. I might need to visit you and and trade some Colorado honey for some avcado honey. lol
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline tct1w

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2009, 11:14:37 pm »
Im done. Im already feeding 2:1. Got 5 gallons off two hives. Still have a little sourwood to extract but might give it back to a nuc. Hadnt decided yet. CU Dave

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2009, 02:20:26 pm »
Update, pulled a couple boxes, so far 75lbs, same as last year but I have several boxes to go yet. Looks like it could be quite a year for me, second year beek.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline c10250

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2009, 06:11:05 pm »
Update, pulled a couple boxes, so far 75lbs, same as last year but I have several boxes to go yet. Looks like it could be quite a year for me, second year beek.

Is that all off of one hive?

Offline Dan Williamson

• New Bee
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2009, 05:12:49 pm »
harvested 1,200 lbs in Mid-July and harvested 2,000 lbs on Saturday.  3,200lbs for the season.  The rest the bees can keep.

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2009, 06:46:44 pm »
Is that all off of one hive?

Yes that was only one hive. I have a few more to pull. I won't know but I figure a good bit. Hard to estimate the other hives. but most have at least a couple supers per that I will take. They are med supers, supposed to weigh 50lbs per but they seem to throw around 30 something lbs of honey. or a bit more, depends on the bees , how many frames, 10 framers you loose a little I think becuase one side is always heavier than the other. so its all approx. I use 10 frames but thinking about going to 9 next year.

Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2009, 08:43:21 am »
28 pounds of off of 2 hives.

At one point it looked like this would be a good year but it has been a very dry summer and even the blackberry's shut down nectar production. 

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2009, 10:53:20 pm »
I've extracted 2 deeps and a medium 3 weeks ago... but only because I was out of boxes and the bees needed room to store more honey.  I took a box each off 3 of my hives and they all still have at least one almost full box+ on them.  I've got 12 gallons so far and am guessing I'll have about another 20-25!!  Great year.  Funny thing is that the hive that is far outperforming them all, is my only package started this year!  They are honey making fools!

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2009, 02:59:22 am »
27 kg (59.5 lbs) on my two hives.  One of them is a split from the other.  We had a couple of very good weeks, but after that we got 6 weeks of terrible weather.  Most rainy summer in many years here in southern Norway.  So I'm very satisfied all things considered.  This is my second year, and I got 13 kg last year :-)

Offline abacab

• New Bee
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2009, 11:49:41 am »
weather in july was not so good but august is much better, we got 102 kg (225 lbs) off 4 hives.
A.

Offline giant pumpkin peep

• New Bee
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2009, 10:23:56 pm »
I got nothing, a nuc I bought in late may. should have fed. Thats alright. I have been feeding and have gona thru 30lbs of suger.  :jawdrop:
I like pumpkins!

Offline honeytaker

• New Bee
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2009, 12:21:30 am »
I just pulled 12 quarts form one super and put a big chunk of honey comb in each jar. (10 empty frames ) from a new package in the spring this year.

Offline wharfrat

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2009, 06:34:36 am »
I have one hive, started in June 08.  So far, I have never taken any honey from them, and may not take any this year...if I do, it will probably be about 12 pounds that I would harvest in October as I crowd the hive back into 3 mediums for the winter... :mrgreen:

Offline beecanbee

• House Bee
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2009, 04:00:24 am »
I harvested from A. Cerana bees last Friday – obtaining 9 liters from 8 hives – this was the annual harvest from one location.  I never take as much as half of what could otherwise be harvested.  Some take it all and let the hive fail, knowing that volunteer swarms will arrive come spring.

At another location, I took 2 liters from one cerana log hive.  (I believe that the most I have ever taken from one hive is 3 liters.)
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."  Duncan Vandiver

A boy can do half the work of a man, but two boys do less, and three boys get nothing done at all. :)

(False) Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.  - Samuel Johnson

Offline Rex

• House Bee
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2009, 08:04:37 pm »
This is my second year keeping bees.  I have three hives and I've harvested about 70 lbs into jars so far this year.  Probably looking at another 20-50 pounds before they close up for the winter.

Offline JsHoney

• New Bee
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2009, 03:35:34 am »
I ended up with 74 lbs clover honey

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2009, 01:01:25 pm »
First year, two hives, late packages, lots of rain.

I'm leaving it all for the bees and looking to next year. 

It would be kind of cool to just pull on or two frames for fun but trying to resist the urge.  I also don't really know how to extract honey from just a couple of frames without going through the whole production especially with no equipment.  My bee club has an extractor but don't think it is worth renting it for just a couple of frames.
Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2009, 08:10:58 pm »
First year, two hives, late packages, lots of rain.

I'm leaving it all for the bees and looking to next year. 

It would be kind of cool to just pull on or two frames for fun but trying to resist the urge.  I also don't really know how to extract honey from just a couple of frames without going through the whole production especially with no equipment.  My bee club has an extractor but don't think it is worth renting it for just a couple of frames.

Crush and Strain!  It won't hurt to pull a frame or two!  Just scrape off all the honey and strain it through a filter on a 5 gallon bucket!  Viola!  Not worth using an extractor.  You'd leave more in the extractor to wash out that you'd get in a jar!