Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: busy day  (Read 3226 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
busy day
« on: May 17, 2009, 01:18:20 pm »
but not much to show for it.  got a swarm call for Gresham and got almost into town when the guy called back and told me the neighbors had called someone else and he was already there......

got home and got another call all the way back past where i had just gone.  got a cute little maybe 2 pounder at a recreation center.  the kids were fascinated, but the parents stayed way back :-).  had a heck of a time keeping the kids from getting right up there. 

so...whoever got that Gresham swarm, if you are on here, fess up!!   :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: busy day
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 02:07:04 pm »
Well that stinks that somebody else got the call after you were on the way, but at least you got something out of the deal, and maybe motivated a new beek in the crowd of kids.................you never know!!

Should have passed out a few business cards, if you have any, to the adult crowd for future swarms.

Glad you got a swarm put up.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 07:06:58 pm »
I would have been po'd to say the least that I drove half way across town to catch a swarm and the people didn't have the courtesy to tell me up front they had also called someone else and are implementing the first come first gets it rule.

I have a friend that lets them know before hand that there will be a charge regardless if the swarm leaves or not while he's enroute.

That's the deal he makes over the phone, before he gets in his truck.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 07:25:38 pm »
it wasn't the fault of the guy who called me.  it was his neighbor who called someone else without his knowing.  he was good enough to call me before i got all the way out there.  i guess the tree was out where it was making the neighbors nervous  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 07:33:52 pm »
That neighbor deserves a whoopin from Kathyp!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 09:44:16 pm »
it's ok.  just picked up another good size swarm.  i have to go buy some more boxes tomorrow!   :-D

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 10:22:13 pm »
off topic, I had a very good friend from Gresham. (She was the fastest talker I've ever ever met; she claims her family says the same thing so I wouldn't think it was just people from Gresham) my ex wife got to stay friends with her in the divorce  :-P
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 10:44:37 pm »
was her name shelly?

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 11:18:31 pm »
Glad to hear that you did get another swarm! I just love getting swarms!

Today I got another call from the same place that I picked up a very large swarm on May 4th! Not as big of a swarm, but it had another nice Russian queen!  :-D Only 4 feet off of the ground too!  ;)

They have a large centuries old oak in the front that has a large colony in it.
The swarms are all coming from the giant oak. They had another swarm a couple of days ago that was even larger than the first one I picked up on the 4th! They seen it when they were outside watching that sickly green tinted sky! But of course the wonderful weather, high winds and hail hit before they could call me....don't know where that one went to...the way the weather was that day they might be in Munchkin Land by now.

I am glad that we both got good swarms. Not too shabby! I also have some pretty nice new friends with this couple. They are still thinking that I am 'strange' for wanting stinging bugs.... :roll:

I would much rather be swarm catching than mowing any day!

Brenda

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 09:37:48 am »
kathyp  I glad you got another swarm, But I hate you drove half way to town for nothing

Johnny

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 10:29:54 am »
it is fun.  most of these are out of pollination hives in the area.  they are not quite as hardy as those from feral hives, but they'll do!

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 11:14:17 am »
was her name shelly?

I think she had a sister shelly.
be happy and make others happy.

anything