Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: a religious experience  (Read 3568 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
a religious experience
« on: May 28, 2005, 07:44:36 am »
Hi all,
I released my bees yesterday evening!!!
I read about doing it, asked questions & had conversations about doing it
& now that it's done, I thought I'd share with all my experience.
Have to admit, I was a little nervous, probably more anxiuos than anything, that I would do everything " correct. "

I wore the full suit w/ gloves had my smoker going...
one guy said spray them w/ water after the queen cage is removed so they won't fly as much.

another said have the smoker ready & use it to calm them a bit, the method I chose.

well, when I removed the syrup can from the package box, it was sweet music to my ears...
it was no big deal really, the bees just wanted to get outta that box, most of them anyway.
had quite a bit of one box that just didn't want to be shook out,
so, I called a new bee friend & he sugested I place a branch per box, in the hole where the syrup can was, leading up to the hive bodies.
this worked very well!!
they played follow the leader for a while after that, & pretty much emptied the package boxes
gotta say, being around all those bees calmed me, & I know this will sound weird, but made me feel like a new father with 20,000 babies!!!
and yes, it is definitely addictive!!!
gonna check on their fist flight now
later,
JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline burny

• New Bee
amazing critters
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 08:27:01 am »
you will constantly be amazed by bees now. they are the only farm animal that will feed themselves, work for you 24/7...and return faithfully to the "barn" each evening(all 20,0000 of them.) read and learn, but use what works for you. im glad you got your bees.
                                  in Him,
                                            burny. :D

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
a religious experience
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 09:23:37 am »
I call all my bees "my girls" or "my babies". :) And they do slow you down - make you appriciate the world around you more. I've tried convincing my friends to have bees. I keep telling them just what burny said - it's the easiest livestock around......
- no daily feeding
- no poop to clean up
- quiet
- and a bounty of rewards / from honey to being a stress reliever

I haven't got a clue why they wouldn't want bees. Here in the country, where most neighbors are not right on top of you, bees are a wonderful addition to any farm. I have friends that have horses, cows, chickens, breed purebred dogs, and gardens. Bees top them all in ease and benefits.

Beth

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
a religious experience
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 10:21:42 am »
>I haven't got a clue why they wouldn't want bees. Here in the country, where most neighbors are not right on top of you, bees are a wonderful addition to any farm.

They are a wonderful addition to any backyard where people ARE right on top of you too.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
a religious experience
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2005, 12:44:59 pm »
the hives seem evenly matched in number, so I'm assuming all is well.
will check the queen cages tomorrow evening.
so far so good
just wanna jump all up in 'em though, lol.

don't see them leaving the yard much, but I'm guessing, that what's going on right now, is very normal.
in my very novice opinion, they are organizing their colonies, and it does look like they have a purpose.
just call me elated
JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
a religious experience
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2005, 01:00:29 pm »
I love my girls, and burny you are very right, they are the perfect farm animal. :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Barny

• House Bee
a religious experience
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2005, 01:04:56 pm »
Heck yeah its fun!  I am so hooked on bees I can't see straight.  Glad everything went off without a hitch for ya.  Great point Micheal, bees are great for keeping people away.  They make great gaurd "dogs"!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
a religious experience
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2005, 05:27:46 pm »
I never had them keep anyone out.  They were only a few feet from the door.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
a religious experience
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 05:12:57 pm »
Bees are also the perfect livestock because I don't know of any other live stock than can be kept in a backyard of a small house in the city!

anything