Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ye Olde Honey House  (Read 3109 times)

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
Ye Olde Honey House
« on: September 11, 2008, 08:03:09 pm »
Well I may have missed it but , I have not seen much toodoo about the honey house, I was just wanting to sell some surplus honey at the farmers market locally. LOL well that went poorly. First off you have to be health inspected, the well needs to be tested. Your residence needs to be inspected if you process in the kitchen. and that will cost you a nice 100.00 bill. 70. for the licence 30 for the well testing. Man!!! So ok but any hoo for your reading pleasure, for anyone wanting to get a licence for honey production,, this is Michigan Rules, I would guess that most states have something similar. Give me your requirements and whether you comply or just run the gambit.

I guess it kinda gripes me that they beg for bee keepers then make these types of rulings, so that you can sell and even give your honey away.

Michigan beekeepers are required to obtain a   

Food Establishment License if:
       Guidelines for Honey Processors

Facility Requirements

Processing facility  A honey house is any stationary or portable building, or any room or place within a building used for the purpose of extracting, processing and/or handling of honey.  It must be constructed in a sanitary manner, suitable to the operation, well maintained, and in good repair and vermin proof.  During the processing of honey, this place is to be used only for operation or storage of

equipment incidental to the activity.  (This room excludes the family kitchen.) The grounds adjacent to this building should be free from all litter, waste, refuse or anything that may constitute an attractant, breeding place or harborage for rodents, insects and other pests. 

Floors Floors of all rooms in which honey is handled must be of impervious and easily cleaned material and must be smooth, in good repair and kept clean. Floors that have a drain should drain into an approved sewage disposal system.

Walls and Ceilings   Walls  and  ceilings  shall  have  washable surfaces, be clean, and kept in good repair.

Ventilated Openings There shall be adequate ventilation and all ventilated openings shall be screened to exclude insects. It may be that honey bees enter the extracting facility, but efforts should be made to control entry and to eliminate bees once inside.

Lighting  Permanently fixed light source shall be sufficient to permit efficient operations. All lights over the processing area shall have protective shielding or be shatter resistant.

Water Supply  There shall be an adequate source of safe potable water under pressure in accordance with local sanitary codes. Water from a nonpublic source (private well) shall be tested at least once a year (contact local health department about testing procedures and locations).

Water Disposal  There shall be an efficient waste disposal system available. Toilet facilities, including hand-washing basins, shall be conveniently available to honey-house personnel.

Vector Control  No chemicals or poisons shall be used to control insects or  rodents while supers of honey are stored in the facility or extracting of honey is  proceeding. Follow label instructions and use only approved pesticides.

Construction, Care, Use and Repair of Honey House, Containers and Equipment   During operation, the honey house shall be used exclusively for extraction, processing, packing or other handling of honey and storage of equipment related to the activity of the honey house. Containers shall be free  of internal rust, cleaned before use. Honey shall not be packed in containers which have previously contained pesticides, creosote, petroleum  products, paint, toxic substances or any thing that would react with honey. All equipment should be covered when not in use.  Extracting equipment  shall  have   hard surfaces that will not permit reaction of the acid in honey and should be lubricated only with food-grade grease.

Heating Equipment  No boiler, oil stove or other heating equipment that gives off odor or dust may be used within the honey house, unless it is properly ventilated and complies with fire regulations.

Workers Sanitation Workers shall maintain a high degree of personal cleanliness and wear clean,   washable outer garments.   

Hand Washing Station shall be conveniently located, easily accessible and supplied with tempered water, soap, single service disposable paper towels or an effective sanitary drying device.

Utensil / Equipment Cleaning A sink with sufficient compartments or other facilities shall be conveniently located to facilitate the cleaning and sanitizing of all processing utensils and equipment.  A food-grade sanitizer shall be available and a method to test the level of sanitizer being used to ensure the level is nontoxic. All chemical sanitizers shall be listed in 21 CFR 178.101 Sanitizing Solutions and used in accordance with the EPA-approved manufacturer’s label-use instructions. If using fresh hot water, sanitization equipment / utensil surface temperatures must reach at least 171F (77C).

Processing Equipment shall be constructed of durable, smooth and easily cleanable materials, well maintained and stored to avoid contamination.

Bee Hive Equipment  Extracting supers shall be clean and free of contamination. Medication is to be applied only when required following label directions. Supers should be covered, transported in clean vehicles and stored in a clean/sanitary area prior to extracting.

Extracting Honey  Uncapping should be done under sanitary conditions.   Extracted honey should be covered if the process is not continuous. Each lot  is processed separately and a sample of each lot shall  be   retained   with   proper   label  identification.

Straining of honey shall be done with a clean mesh –cloth material or stainless steel mesh. Reuse of cloth   mesh is not advisable. If honey is filtered, the filters should be checked for damage to ensure they are clean and free from extraneous material.

Packaging Honey (Bottling) and Labeling Requirements The processing of honey for bottling shall be done in a clean/sanitary devoted facility. Retail and wholesale honey containers should be labeled with: product identity, ingredients if any are added, a production or lot code, name, address of manufacturer, packer or  distributor, and net weight.

Cooperative Honey Houses (Central Kitchens) As a cooperative honey house, multiple processors can use the licensed facility. The processors that use the facility are not required to obtain a license. Accurate records of members using the facility will be kept. From time to time, MDA will examine the production records to verify that honey found in commerce was actually produced at the cooperative.

Transport of Supers Vehicles used to transport supers after removal must be clean. Supers must be covered during transport to prevent environmental contamination. Storage of supers must occur in a clean and sanitary environment.

Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline rose

• New Bee
Re: Ye Olde Honey House
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 09:36:05 pm »
I just sent for all that info for the state of Michigan. There's also a little passage that reads....
Michigan beekeepers are not required to obtain a Food Establishment License if they process and retail their own honey on their own premises.

Michigan beekeepers are required to obtain a Food Establishment License if 
They process and retail honey at various locations. Only one license is required at the production facility, but the honey can be sold at farmers' markets, craft shows, restaurants, retail stores, and other public venues without additional license for each location .

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 09:57:53 pm »
geeezzzz! :-\  I'll have to look up ours.  Too busy to sit at a farmers market all day but am going to sell at the organic CSA I belong to.  Gonna keep some hives there next year. Don't want anyone snooping around my place, not cause it's gross, but then your name is on the "justifying my job" list for the agencies!
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 09:59:48 pm »
Quote"I just sent for all that info for the state of Michigan. There's also a little passage that reads....
Michigan beekeepers are not required to obtain a Food Establishment License if they process and retail their own honey on their own premises
They process and retail honey at various locations. Only one license is required at the production facility, but the honey can be sold at farmers' markets, craft shows, restaurants, retail stores, and other public venues without additional license for each location . ." Quote

Thats true but if you expand an have 1000 lbs of honey it makes it pretty hard to sell just from the house. I plan on expanding, so I know i'll need it. Just gripes me that the goverment wants there hand in your pocket once again.

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 10:06:28 pm »
geeezzzz! :-\  I'll have to look up ours.  Too busy to sit at a farmers market all day but am going to sell at the organic CSA I belong to.  Gonna keep some hives there next year. Don't want anyone snooping around my place, not cause it's gross, but then your name is on the "justifying my job" list for the agencies!

Yup my point exactly!

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 10:23:26 pm »
Quote"I just sent for all that info for the state of Michigan. There's also a little passage that reads....
Michigan beekeepers are not required to obtain a Food Establishment License if they process and retail their own honey on their own premises
They process and retail honey at various locations. Only one license is required at the production facility, but the honey can be sold at farmers' markets, craft shows, restaurants, retail stores, and other public venues without additional license for each location . ." Quote

Thats true but if you expand an have 1000 lbs of honey it makes it pretty hard to sell just from the house. I plan on expanding, so I know i'll need it. Just gripes me that the goverment wants there hand in your pocket once again.

IN california there are laws that protect farm stands -so AG can sell at road side without license or permit-the farmers market are covered buy these laws and the market is the same as your road side stand that is protected by law you have a right to farm and to sell IF YOU ARE AG-we have certified markets and only need producers cert from dept of AG tell those guys the honey is raw -no heat no proces-no cert. kitchen needed -RDY-B

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 11:23:19 pm »
Reading through those rules they all seem to make sense.  They are less about screwing you out of your money and more about protecting consumers and the workers.  So you may know that you are doing a good clean job of it, but there was some stupid sucker that was a slob so somebody had to make a law.

Unfortune it is however that they paint these rules with such a large brush that what applies to the big commercials also applies to us pipsqueaks. :roll:

I have other outlets than the farmer's market so I don't bother with it all.  And I sell mostly to people who know me.

Rick
Rick