Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: had a good morning yeasterday.  (Read 1811 times)

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
had a good morning yeasterday.
« on: September 14, 2011, 10:19:37 pm »
got a call from a junk yard down the street from PD maintenance shop I work at Monday. They got a old combine machine in that has a hive in it . I went by and looked at it and told them  that I could get it in the morning. well I get there a 7am. and it was a cool night. got every thing together. went around and found that a large group had tried to make it on a tree limb that night. most had died but a small ball had made it. I Scooped them up with my hands and put them in the beebox. I could not see if the queen was with them. then I got ready for the auger pipe they were in. there was a large large nest but the crane had opened a big gash in the pipe that i did not see.  :( the comb was destroyed. flies had layed eggs and had maggots in the honey. So I had only one option. I got the bee vac out and started sucking the ones left trying to get the honey out of the destroyed comb. I was there for 4 hours and got a box packed full. worked in tee and shorts. Very docile not one sting and no headbutting.  Got home about 1pm and put a box together. 9 frames in a deep. I went to my strong hive and got a frame of brood and open larvae and put that in the box. I dumped the bees in and they went right in . I added a coke bottle feeder to the top lid and reduced the entrance. I checked them today at 6pm. they are very docile and going in and out. I hope that sense the goldenrod has not bloomed yet that they may make it. I don't know if the queen is there. I'll check it the weekend. wish me luck. I'll try to get photos up this weekend.

I do have one question. these bees have some different coloring than most . some have the regular tiger striped but some have part tiger then solid black to the tail. but they have a great personality. any ideas what type these are. . maybe a cross breed.

John

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
Re: had a good morning yeasterday.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 11:03:27 pm »
All of the feral bees I come across here are marked just as you described. So far all have been mild mannered bees as well.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 08:34:46 pm »
The ones with the dark ends or ones that are almost dark black throughout we refer to as mutts down here. Did the frame you give them have eggs or very young larvae? This is what they need to make a new queen with.

Best of luck!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 10:42:53 pm »
Hey JP. The frame I added had a good mix of 45 percent capped brood, 25 percent uncapped larvae,and 30 percent capped honey. I'm hopping they go for it. We are just starting to get goldenrod and a type of butter cup flowering now. I have notice that the other hives are starting to bring in a lot of pollen on their legs. the spring and summer was a bust for me. I have pictures now.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

anything