Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: All-American bees from Weavers in TX?  (Read 8653 times)

Offline Beekissed

• House Bee
All-American bees from Weavers in TX?
« on: March 29, 2010, 02:32:46 am »
Anyone have any reviews about Weavers Apiary and their packages?  How about the All-American strain of Italians they have been developing?  Pros and cons? 

Approximate normal shipping fees for bee packages? 
"...he maketh me to lie down in green pastures..."

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
Re: All-American bees from Weavers in TX?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 02:36:31 am »
I noticed your from WV it looks like.  I don't think you can get them shipped to you from Texas.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 07:56:04 am »
Package Bees are ship to zones 1-4 or about 550 miles lots of lost is after 550 miles. But can get queen bees ship for about 1600 miles or zones 7. Hope this will help you. But you can call and ask Weavers Apiary  .

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 01:42:17 am »
Anyone have any reviews about Weavers Apiary and their packages?  How about the All-American strain of Italians they have been developing?  Pros and cons? 

Approximate normal shipping fees for bee packages? 

They are not regressed bees and don't do good on 4.9 cell foundations. If you use 5.4 they will do real good or go foundationless would be best.
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 10:45:21 pm »
I had some queens from them one year.  Did good job until the second generation in one hive.  That hive turned mean to the point that you had bees head butting you in the front yard and the hives were in the back yard.  The wife had enough, so I got out the blow torch and went looking for the queen.  I let them requeen themselves and it worked out fine 3rd generation.     

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 05:46:26 am »
I had some queens from them one year.  Did good job until the second generation in one hive.  That hive turned mean to the point that you had bees head butting you in the front yard and the hives were in the back yard.  The wife had enough, so I got out the blow torch and went looking for the queen.  I let them requeen themselves and it worked out fine 3rd generation.     

This is the first time I've heard the BBQueen option.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 12:18:14 pm »
Hey it worked, and smoked a whole mess of small hive beetles before they could get away at the same time.

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 03:19:58 pm »
I love it anothe PYRO!!!  :-D 8-)    And you killed 2 birds with one blowtorch..... sweet.
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 08:39:43 pm »
I love it anothe PYRO!!!  :-D 8-)    And you killed 2 birds with one blowtorch..... sweet.

Boys of all ages love a good fire don't we. 
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 08:46:20 pm »
Just another reason I spent the extra money and upgraded to a self lighting torch.  A lot quicker than fumbling with matches.

Offline hardtime

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 11:36:44 pm »
i live just up the road from bristol race way. got two queens last fall from them  sofare   thay are slow in building up   but aint much blooming yet eather.   i want to see that  220 pounds  of honey  from them   weaver  talks about for us up  north.
your frend   hardtime

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 12:51:03 am »
My results from the Weavers are 50-50.  One hive from a queen/package is gentle as can be.  The other I had to smush the queen and enjoyed every minute of it- she still had her red dot of paint on her and she produced vicious as hell bees, first generation "Italians".  4-5 weeks after requeening from Walter Kelly I had a gentle hive again.

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 12:52:48 am »
But you might have a difference experience with the others - are the "All Americans" the same as the "BucKfast" bees?  I know a local beek who swears by them.

Offline Beekissed

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 03:23:08 am »
Turns out that Weavers didn't have anymore packages and were outsourcing to local commercial beeks, so I cancelled that order. 

Got a package from Drapers instead, just simple Italians as far as I could tell.  What do you all think about Drapers? 
"...he maketh me to lie down in green pastures..."

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 09:56:21 pm »
Hi Bee!
The all americans are really Italians...I got 2 packages 4 years ago from R Weaver and they are still my nicest hives. About the buckfast...I didnt get any of those because ( I was told) they can be mean and slow producers.
your friend,
john

Offline duncan_bees

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 12:07:05 am »
Package Bees are ship to zones 1-4 or about 550 miles lots of lost is after 550 miles. But can get queen bees ship for about 1600 miles or zones 7. Hope this will help you. But you can call and ask Weavers Apiary  .

I have 3 lbs of Buckfast shipping to North Stonington, CT on May 3rd.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 07:56:49 am »
Package Bees are ship to zones 1-4 or about 550 miles lots of lost is after 550 miles. But can get queen bees ship for about 1600 miles or zones 7. Hope this will help you. But you can call and ask Weavers Apiary  .

I have 3 lbs of Buckfast shipping to North Stonington, CT on May 3rd.

duncan_bees ...........

Are you doing next day shipping   :?

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Buz Green

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 08:10:50 am »
My 2 packages from Weaver last year did very well in my Warre hives. Both gave me a modest (30lb) harvest and made it through a Colorado winter at 6500' asl.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said I meant but what you heard is not what I said.

www.greenbeecompany.com

Offline brookscj

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2017, 10:41:06 pm »
I purchased three queens a few years back and all three produced bees as mean as hell.  They did not make a season before I pinched 'em and replaced with local stock.  I cannot speak to their current stock since this was over five years ago but I would be wary.  Maybe order a few to try but have a plan B.  No pun intended.
"Flowers always make people better, happier, and more helpful; they are sunshine, food and medicine for the soul."  Luther Burbank

anything