Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from a first timer  (Read 1853 times)

Offline cscheel2006

• Brood
Hello from a first timer
« on: April 11, 2016, 02:15:25 am »
Hello everyone,

This will be my first year keeping bees and have acquired two langstroth hives (each has two deeps, two medium supers, and top feeder). I am picking up my two bee packages on the 26th and have been doing a lot of reading to try to best prepare myself. I guess with everything else I've done, I won't be comfortable until I've done it, but I'm trying to be best prepared.

One thing that I'm nervous about is should I have some extra boxes and frames handy? Should I expect to have to split a hive this year? Or would next spring be more realistic?

I'm sure I'll have many more questions and picture to share so I apologize if some of them are very basic or common knowledge for you folks.

Craig.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Hello from a first timer
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 03:04:19 am »
First let me say welcome to the forum and soon to beekeeping.  If you want the most accurate advise you will need to add your location to your profile.  Most answers are location dependent.  Most likely you won't use more than your deeps this year.  Your main goal this year is to get them built up enough to make it through winter.  A close second is to get used to your bees and learn what they need.  If you do that then you could possibly split them next year. 

There's no need to apologize for any question you ask even if it has been asked before.  That's what we are here for and besides we all could use a refresher course every now and again. :wink:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 09:17:27 am »
Welcome to Beemaster.
If you are in the south of the US or where it is warm most of the year and you have a lot of variety of plants, then yes you will need at least 3 Supers ready per hive. It is different in different areas.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 10:02:20 am »
+1 to cao

Beekeeping is very regional.....someone in Montana (winks at MtBeeGirl) and someone like me in the Florida Keys will have vastly different schedules, husbandry needs, and equipment needs because our seasons are so radically different. Add that location and we can begin to understand and help.
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline cscheel2006

• Brood
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 12:46:49 pm »
I'm located in CT

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 01:03:19 pm »
Welcome.
You can never have too much equipment. LOL

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 08:33:05 am »
Welcome to the forum!
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 12:53:13 pm »
Welcome, you'll need to add a general location to your profile. Helps folks answer your question better.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

anything